Paul McCartney on the David Lynch Foundation

What is it about the goal of David Lynch's foundation that inspired you
to participate in this concert?
Paul: I like the idea of bringing an ancient practice into the modern
world. Who would have thought that by introducing meditation into the
education system you could lower people's aggression levels and get
a more peaceful society.

You traveled to India to study with Maharishi in 1968. What was the
single most important idea or experience or lesson you gained while you
were there?
Paul: Getting a mantra from Maharishi and then learning how to use it.
The rest is up to your self. So actually, being given a mantra and being
taught what to do with it was the most important aspect of the
trip—the rest was great fun.

What are your recollections of Maharishi? How would you describe him?
Paul: He was a very spiritual and intelligent man, but what made him so
endearing to me was his infectious sense of humor.

Why do you think it is valuable for young people to meditate? What do
you think they gain from the experience?
Paul: I think meditation offers a moment in your day to be at peace with
yourself and therefore the universe, which once was thought of as a
slightly silly hippie idea, but now it's much more accepted and even
fits with some of the most advanced scientific thinking.

Any particular message you would like to share with your fans?
Paul: Thanks for continuing to bother to listen to me! I wish you peace,
love, and laughter.