<snip>
> Hate to put my neck out on this one but I do seem to remember
Qaddafi
> mentioning something about not wanting to be associated with
terrorists  or
> terrorism AFTER the invasion of Iraq. I'll agree that he had been
wanting to  have
> sanctions lifted against Libya for some time but he never made a
serious move
> until after 9/11 and then came the decision to disarm after Saddam
was
> overthrown, maybe even caught.

Not true.  Libya had made several serious moves,
but the U.S. didn't follow up because it was more
interested in getting the Pan Am 103 situation
resolved.

See the piece I referenced earlier at:

http://www.brook.edu/views/op-ed/indyk/20040309.htm

The concluding paragraph:

The fact that Mr. Gadaffi was willing to give up his WMD programmes
and open facilities to inspection four years ago does not detract
from the Bush administration's achievement in securing Libya's
nuclear disarmament. However, in doing so, Mr. Bush completed a
diplomatic game plan initiated by Mr. Clinton. The issue here,
however, is not credit. Rather, it is whether Mr. Gadaffi gave up his
WMD programmes because Mr. Hussein was toppled, as Mr. Bush now
claims. As the record shows, Libyan disarmament did not require a war
in Iraq.