Marek,

You see the "clerks" every day. When someone is convicted and sentenced to
years in prison for, say, marijuana possession, do the clerks, the ballifs,
the judges, the DAs all seem to be mere functionaries, or are the, like, "yeah
we got another criminal off the streets?"

It seems to me the Nazi clerks had to be committed to antisemitism, but,
surely, half the processors of America's legal system have dabbled in pot, and
it must be a challenge to put someone in a cell for a crime they've also
committed but not yet been caught doing.  Is this taking a psychic toll on
them? Do they feel like Nazi guards who are saying, "I'm only following orders?"

Edg