--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Sal Sunshine <salsunsh...@...>
wrote:<snip>

> Curtis, while I have nothing but respect for anyone willing to
> "toil for years," as you put it so well, to turn out something
> on canvas, I'm wondering what the difference is between this
> art--art with an agenda, I guess you could call it--
> and any other kind of propaganda.

I don't know much about painting but from what I can tell from the examples he
is producing what is termed Folk Art with often lacks the kind of perspective
techniques that come with training.  And folk art has it place and some of it
can be really beautiful.  But I agree that the agenda aspect is the troubling
part for me.  A lot of self proclaimed mystics pulled this one.  It allows them
to product-ize their spirituality and sell it in pieces.  And I don't doubt
that Doug actually believes all this.  He has good reason to, there are payoffs
on many levels.  Sure beats having some a-hole like me coming into his studio
and saying "Keep up the good work.  I can't wait to see what you produce beyond
the beginner level!"

> > What I always hated about the "Robert Johnson sold his soul to the
> > devil in order to play guitar as well as he did" myth, is that it
> > shortchanges his hard work.  It turns the labor of guitar mastery
> > into magic.  A quick fix instead of hours of finger numbing effort.
>
> Another great point.  Not to mention, if he
> did sell his soul, he got seriously ripped off...
> didn't he die at something like 30?

27.  29 recorded sides and the world still reverberates with his artistic
achievements!  Not too shabby in return for something imaginary!