--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2009, at 12:19 PM, curtisdeltablues wrote:
>
> > What I always hated about the "Robert Johnson sold his soul to the
> > devil in order to play guitar as well as he did" myth, is that it
> > shortchanges his hard work.  It turns the labor of guitar mastery
> > into magic.  A quick fix instead of hours of finger numbing effort.
>

> Rather than imagining it referred to the imaginary Judeo-Christian
> devil, perhaps the story is just a way the ignorant would parse that
> Johnson had some connection with Baron Samedi, Lord of the Crossroads
> and voudoun. Many people are inspired by their God, why not RJ being
> inspired or "mounted" by a Loa?

I've read that interpretation too but I think it is over-analyzed. We know the
historical root of this rumor, it was Son House in the 60's revival.  Since
Tommy Johnson was the one who actually used this marketing hype, not Robert, I
think it is easier just to conclude that Son was confused and it added punch to
his story about Robert being bad at guitar, disappearing for up to 2 years, and
then being good at it.

But the poetry of your description is appealing to me and does help trace the
root of this myth which did exist.

<"mounted" by a Loa?>

Nice addition to our gay discussion!