In this week's Britain's Got Talent, a very unassuming Susan Boyle,
self-described as unemployed, never been kissed, and living with a cat named
Pebbles, got on the stage to sing. The audience could not have expected less,
or been more surprised. From The Times:

    As soon as she begins singing I Dream A Dream, from the musical Les
Misérables, however, everyone in the auditorium falls silent, before erupting
into a standing ovation.

    Afterwards Morgan said: "Without doubt that was the biggest surprise I've
had in three years of this show. When you stood there with that cheeky grin
everyone was laughing at you. No one is laughing now. That was stunning. I'm
reeling from shock."

    Andrew Llinares, executive producer for TalkbackThames, the programme
maker, said: "She was a complete revelation. Everyone was cynical about her.
She's a woman who's grown up in a tiny little village and has never got married.

    "I think the expectation was that she wasn't going to be any good. But
that's what's sensational about the show. No one saw it coming."

Ms. Boyle is from the small village of Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland, a few
miles from Edinburgh, a small town that's on the map now.

READ MORE:
http://tinyurl.com/cht8t6
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article6069597.ece

SEE VIDEO:
http://tinyurl.com/c49rgl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

UPDATE:
http://tinyurl.com/cpf98w
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/04/12/brtain-s-got-talent-singing-sensation-susan-sang-to-escape-the-bullies-115875-21272894/

"I was born with a disability and that made me a target for bullies. I was
called names because of my fuzzy hair and because I struggled in class.

"I told the teachers, but because it was more verbal than physical I could
never prove anything. But words often hurt more than cuts and bruises and the
scars are still there."

However, Susan has proved such a smash hit on Britain's Got Talent that supremo
Simon Cowell has held talks with her about signing for his Sony BMG record
label.

And she believes her TV success is the perfect answer to the childhood
tormentors who made her life hell in Bathgate, West Lothian.