Just on the level of physiology, fasting
seems to be a fairly powerful tool to
achieve both precise and general health
and consciousness goals.

If one shuts down the clockworks of food
processing, immediately we have the following:

1. A gross "resting of the body's alimentary
processes" that allows for various catchings-up
and tissue repairings that the alimentary
canal may need but cannot always do very
well when food is constantly passing along
it and bathing the tissues with renewed
"attacks" of harsh chemicals that irritate
them.

2. The blood's "food chemicals" dramatically
lessen such that the blood can be said to
become "purer or less burdened with a lot
of raw material, e.g. nutritional cargo
transported by the blood's flowing." Those
organs that have to put out chemicals like
insulin, bile, etc. get a vacation too.

3. The mind is less likely to be stimulated
by chemicals that are byproducts of metabolism
that are in the blood stream and somewhat
toxic and headed for the liver/spleen/kidney
cleaners, but until they are handled thereby,
they are, as if, beclouding the blood with a
fog of literally thousands of compounds
-- some of which are serious challenges to
the body's wherewithal to endure them
-- meaning that if the blood's toxicity
is too high, many chemicals are likely to
be but partially processed and these bits
and pieces can glom up here and there in
the circulatory system.  Lactic acid can
build up, for instance, and it's a hefty
toxin, but, if given rest, the body can
take the lactic acid and recombine it into
glucose and use it fully once oxygen is
plentiful again. But until it does, lactic
acid can be a strong negativity.  (A ham
sandwich takes 1500 metabolic steps to be
"digested.")

4. The breath naturally lessens since oxygen
is not needed as much.  The body has a
"let's think less thoughts" functionality
that kicks in when the blood isn't
delivering the building blocks for ATP
production.  The "energy" one normally has
to indulge in any sort of focus is lessened,
and thus the emotions' have their tipping
points desensitized, and the mind is far less
triggerable, and floods of ideation become
trickles instead.  Any mantra passing through
such a mind has far fewer contenders for the
spotlight of attention.

5. The psychology of the mind gains esteem
points such that one feels like one is
accomplishing something real that has
spiritual implications. The sensations of
fasting fatigue are, as if, a relentless
droning that indicates one is doing tapas
and something good is happening. A will-power
mountain is being climbed and the psyche
feels empowered to attempt such heights of
operational control over very human and
urgent needs.

6. Socially, the person is creating an
example for those nearest to his life.
A host of triggerings in the minds of others
necessarily occurs since fasting is so
obviously "unnatural" that philosophically
speaking, society finds itself churning
about a faster's modeling.  Anytime you
can get society to look within for axioms,
dogma, rationalizations, just the turning
of the mind inward can be a dramatic act
of spirituality for some persons.

7. Spiritually, the mind is less likely to
be entertaining the outer world's qualities
as they pour into the mind via the senses.
The sensations of tapas keeps the mind
dwelling on the intent-to-fast, and this
perforce has the person handling some of
the most subtle energetic processes lest
they trigger a landslide down a slippery
slope that ends in one's swan diving into
a giant sized bag of potato chips.  The
intellect is pronging constantly with
"let's eat now," urgings that must be
seen for what they are -- thoughts only,
not guns held to one's head. To resist
this stream of desires, the mind must
transcend the intellect's ability to
come up with an excuse to eat by countering
such notions by attending to the subtler
still emotions that empower the intent to
fast.  This is spiritual practice of
considerable potency.

I've fasted a lot -- in my youth.  Did 48
days on fruit juice.  Two weeks on water
only.  Months on fruit only.  And all the
above speculations seem valid to me. YMMV.

Edg