--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "metoostill" <metoost...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > Is some aspect of ayurvedic medicine religious because tradition says it
> > was
> > presented to some vaidya by a god?
> >
> Umm, uh, well...huh??  Not sure where you are going with that one :)
>
> (smiley face added to reduce f-word road rage, as we are probably friends)
>
> > And, as I pointed out, what the f- are you doing telling me what is
> > religiously
> > significant about any practice I choose to indulge in?
> >
> There are many things we don't self assign.  One of them is whether or not
> what we are doing has religious significance.  Because words have meanings
> (no pun intended, I swear).  We don't get to self determine whether what we
> are doing is religious or not religious.  I suppose you could make a strained
> case that chanting the names of Hindu gods was not religious.  I could maybe
> somehow get my head around that, just a rest technique, I didn't know the
> meaning, etc.  But a major determinate between philosophy and religion is the
> presence of soteriological content.  Notions relating to salvation.  Our
> community is undeniably shot through with that one.

We don't get to determine whehter what we are doing is religious or
not religious?

Goodness. Seldom have I encountered someone whose world-view is so
far removed from my won. Even most fundamentalists can accept that *for me*
TM practice isn't religious.

and which community do you think I belong to? As a proud, card carrying member
of the Unitarian Universalist Church, I take pride in my ability to truely
understand
and live "The Unitarian Universalist Way" (TM). ;-)

> Not sure what is so shameful about being religious.  Well actually it does
> have a troubled association, both cultural and political, so maybe I can see
> the politics involved.

Like as not, you've missed the point about the Unitarian Universalist Church,
which is that while it lays claim to being a legally established church with all
the constitutional protections that provides, it doesn't require that its
members
embrace or eschew any particular religious or philosophical dogma.

IOW, legally it is a church, but few religious scholars would insist that it is
a religion,
organized or otherwise.