> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley" <j_alexander_stanley@>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Gay BLT Americans aren't feeling quite so warm
> > and fuzzy about Obama right now:
>
> Andrew Sullivan (who passionately supported
> Obaam's election):
>
> -----
> I understand the need to defend existing law. But
> the zealous defense of DOMA - including repeating
> countless spurious and unnecessary slurs against
> gay people - need not be a lawyer's duty. It is a
> choice by his political superiors. It is not the
> fact of this brief, it is its contents and rhetoric
> that sting. They did not have to go this far.
>
> In trying to understand why the Obama
> administration would seek to go to such lengths to
> make arguments embraced by James Dobson I tried to
> give them the benefit of the doubt. I was probably
> wrong. The more I learn the clearer it is that this
> was a conscious decision by Obama's DOJ to use evey
> conceivable argument to kill any constitutional
> attack on DOMA. At the same time, they are clearly
> committed to doing nothing in the foreseeable
> future to enact any redress for those couples
> currently denied their civil rights. On top of
> this, they obviously did nothing to prepare gay
> couples or any gay leaders for this swipe at them.
> Why? Are relations that broken? Some judicious
> explanation ahead of time would surely have been in
> everyone's interest. But again, one gets the
> impression that for the Obama administration, gay
> people are a burden, a distraction and a bore.
> -----
>
> http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/06/dissent-of-the-day-4.html#more
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kofpzc

Yawn.

I'll support gay marriage when the gays all come out and support polygamous
marriage, something the Mormons actually had and gave up in order for Utah to
join the union (they also had to give up suffrage for women as well, they being
amongst the first to grant it).

There is way more historical existance and support for polygamy than there is
for gay marriage, both in the Americas as well as around the world.

If we're going to grant one "non-traditional" marriage, then let's open the
floodgates for everyone.