On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:18 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

Vaj wrote:
The TM and TMO critical site, TM-Free Blog is being blocked to
Maharishi University of Management students as is access to some other
forms of spirituality and traditional teachings. I received this
response from an MUM student on my question of what was being
blocked/filtered:

"We aren't even sure who or what sets it up. But basically you are
blocked from p2p. Porn is of course blocked. Those two should really
be it.... but this website [TM Free Blog] is blocked even, as well as
all kinds of stuff that shouldn't be. We'll run into the occasional
block on other religious or traditional teachings. Many, many youtube
videos are blocked."

-Anonymous Maharishi University of Management student

All this will do is drive students to off campus wifi places
where they can see the blocked stuff.   They can't block all
of Fairfield.

And, downtown Fairfield is a *very* WiFi-rich environment. The Chamber of Commerce and lots of restaurants have open WiFi routers. When my fiber optic line was cut by a backhoe a few years ago, I'd sit in my truck, parked near a cafe or restaurant, and hang out online.

There are actually known ways around the Vedic firewall according to the student for some instances, but it slows their connection down to a crawl.

What's disturbing is they'd almost have to be tracking students to know which individual URL's to block. Any way you slice it or dice it, it's odd for an institution of higher learning to be doing this.