Meow, I'm taking a guess. I guess the turbulent 60's were before your
time. I'm getting to be an old fart (I can't wait to hear Barry
chime in on that one) and the advantage of age is that I haven't
forgotten what it was like to be young and passionate about everything
from intense conversation about the stinking Vietnam War to thinking
about sex all the time. The seasoning of years just makes all those
memories sweeter when viewed through lenses that soften the sharp edges
of rejection, so painfully crushing after falling madly in love for the
first time.

Seems to me student life is difficult enough to manage without adding
the pathos of discovering one's sexuality and being smitten. Those
two beguiling passages, overwhelming and exhilarating at once, hint at a
course as true as any compass for the rest of one's life, no matter
the surprises. The one-two punch just happens to come at the same time
in one's life. Imagine that.

Things haven't changed much. We still have a stinking war or two and
students still fuck like rabbits.  What is different is the excitement
about politics, like none I've ever seen. But, hoping for peace is
not enough. If we want peace for our children from the deepest yearning
of our being, we must have the courage to speak out against injustice
where ever we see it. Of course, shooting off one's mouth is not
enough either. We must devour information from as many sources as we can
so we can speak intelligently and argue our ideas with conviction.

During the 1967 Pentagon Protest, a young man placed carnations in the
gun barrel of MPs guarding the Pentagon. His single act of bravery
solidified the slogan "Flower Power" and he became an icon for
peace in this amazing photo by Bernie Boston.

[http://www.talkingphotography.com/images/FVRcoly-BernieFlowerPower.jpg]

http://tinyurl.com/db4yc8 <http://tinyurl.com/db4yc8>

http://www.talkingphotography.com/images/FVRcoly-BernieFlowerPower.jpg
<http://www.talkingphotography.com/images/FVRcoly-BernieFlowerPower.jpg>

<http://www.uic.edu/orgs/cwluherstory/jofreeman/photos/Pentagon67.html#p\
hotos>

http://tinyurl.com/mptlqv <http://tinyurl.com/mptlqv>

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "meowthirteen" <meowthirt...@...>
wrote:

> *palms touch at heart*
>
> *head bowing*
>

> Daisy Award for you
>

> Thank you
>
> -- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" raunchydog@ wrote:
> >
> > "November 15, 1969, there was a massive Moratorium march on
Washington, D.C. which attracted over 500,000 demonstrators against the
war, including many performers and activists on stage at a rally across
from the White House.

> > A quarter of a million activists at the Moratorium were singing
"Give Peace A Chance", a song written by John Lennon. This was
significant, instead of singing the traditional, "We Shall Overcome", it
was "Give Peace A Chance"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_Moratorium

> > I was there. The song's history is rooted in activism, not just,
"wishing and hoping and thinking and praying." That's just a torch song.
Not that there is anything wrong that. But Lennon's song inspired folks
to get off their butts and DEMAND peace, to participate as responsible
citizens petitioning their government to end the Vietnam War and it
worked. Some things are just worth fighting for.