--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, guyfawkes91 <no_re...@...> wrote:

> > (Caveat: I'm not arguing that Hagelin's ideas
> > connecting theoretical physics with TM are correct,
> > only that Barry's ideas about Hagelin are
> > INcorrect, especially his puerile analogy with Dan
> > Brown.)
>
> All physicists would agree with Barry on that point.

I'm pretty sure they would, at least working
physicists. The only ones who have any respect
for Hagelin probably appeared with him on the
"What the bleep..." film. :-)

There is something that happens to supposed
scientists when they catch the "New Age disease"
or the "religion disease" or the "bhakti disease,"
whatever you choose to call it. They become
believers in whatever their spiritual or occult
trip is, and science goes right out the window
EXCEPT as a mechanism for them to "get strokes"
from the religion or teacher they've become
enamored with.

Judy wouldn't know about this. She never got any
closer to the TM movement than to dip a toe in
so she could say, "I've been there." But she never
*has* "been there." She never had what it took to
become a TM teacher, or to commit to trying to
spread TM. Above all, she doesn't understand the
fanatical desire to "please the teacher" that
people who *do* commit to such spiritual groups
feel. They will do the stupidest things on earth,
just to be "patted on the head" by the teacher.

Hagelin is NOT a scientist. He stopped being one
many, many years ago. What he is is a religious
fanatic. And pretty much anyone who still *is*
a scientist can see what Hagelin has become.

Like jr_esq, science and the "desire to find out"
no longer drive Hagelin. He is driven by the desire
to "prove" that the "vedic ideas" Maharishi gave to
him are "correct" or "true." So he attempts to "bend"
science to "fit" these ideas.

It's a shitty fit. But he gets away with it because
the people in the audiences he speaks to are trying
just as hard as he is to do the same thing. Like jr,
they BELIEVE completely that the vedic seers "knew
it all," and that modern thinkers and modern science
are merely trying to "catch up."

That's ridiculous, of course, but so are they.
Religious fanatics always are, whether it's
Christian fundamentalism or Hindu fundamentalism.