It is my contention that AI, and particularly robotics, exploits natural
human zoomorphism. We want robots to appear like humans or animals, and
this is assisted by cultural myths about AI and a willing suspension of
disbelief. The old automata makers, going back as far as Hero of
Alexandria, who made the first programmable robot in AD 60, saw their
work as part of natural magic - the use of trick and illusion to make us
believe their machines were alive. Modern robotics preserves this
tradition with machines that can recognise emotion and manipulate
silicone faces to show empathy. There are AI language programs that
search databases to find conversationally appropriate sentences. If AI
workers would accept the trickster role and be honest about it, we might
progress a lot quicker.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327231.100-why-ai-is-a-dangerous\
-dream.html