--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shukra69" <shukr...@...> wrote:

> "There is no heavier burden to carry than a grudge"
> -seen on the sign board of a local Shul.

With all due respect, I think there is a greater
burden, and it's one that pretty much *defines*
Fairfield Life lately -- "Being so bored with
life that the only thing that gets you off
is arguing."

Yeah, the "carrying a grudge" thing is surprising
in 30-year meditators, and given that Shukra has
spent the majority of his posts lately doing just
that re Vaj, he is in no position to bitch about it.

But it's the *consistent* content of FFL lately that
has been surprising me more. I haven't been post-
ing much because it's been rare to find a single
post to reply to that *wasn't* either an attempt to
start an argument or an attempt to perpetuate one.

WHAT IS IT that renders people so attached to
their selves and those selves' transitory beliefs that
they feel they have to "defend" them, or argue about
them, or prove them "superior" to other people's
attachments?

I think it's boredom.

It's almost as if the majority of posters to FFL think
of it as a place that they can come to at any time to
alleviate the boredom of their lives by starting or
participating in an argument.

Think I'm wrong?

Point out to me a dozen posts in the last week that
do NOT into this category. I'll wait.

Doug posts things from time to time that are more
"speculative questions." Rick posts about *actually
doing something* with his talk show. Hugo finds
interesting things and shares them with others.
And a few others make posts from time to time
that do not reek of boredom. But most stink to
high heaven of it.

Raunchy tries to avoid dealing with the boredom of
her life by fixating on women as victims, and by try-
ing to draw people into arguments about that. Shemp
does the same with global warming. Any number of
people run the same number with Maharishi. Judy's
so desperate for an argument that she'll pick one over
a 43-year-old pop song or the caste system she knows
nothing about.

Climate change, politics, TM, even enlightenment --
lately no subject seems to hold any actual *interest*
for the majority of FFL posters. One rarely gets the
impression that any of these subjects are anything
for most posters *except* an excuse to argue.

If that's what gets people off, so be it. I just think that
something that would be more productive in the long
run than arguing is looking into why they're so bored
with life that the only thing that gets them off is arguing.