<snip>
> I think you may be confusing other types of community
> organizations, whose leaders may well beg the government
> for funding, with the process of community organizing
> and the organizations that result from that process.

P.S.: When organizations formed as a result of community
organizing need funding for their own activities--e.g.,
printing, mailing, and telephone costs, office space, gas,
ads in local papers--they raise money from the community
by holding local fundraising events (bake sales, auctions,
raffles, benefit concerts, etc.), going door to door, and
asking local businesses. They may also apply for grants
from private foundations and ask for donations from
civic-minded wealthy people. But generally they operate on
a shoestring.

The ultimate goal is to force government to accept the
community as a partner in its decision making. Obviously
it's highly political. And again, this is as distinct
from, say, your local arts council or Big Brother/Big
Sister program or branch of Habitat for Humanity. There
may be interaction between the two types of groups, but
the structure, process, and goals are quite different.