> If the worst fears of AGW believers come true, I
> hope that those delegates from the U.S., from Japan,
> from China, and from other industrialized nations
> that kept real emission reduction from being even
> *discussed* at this summit are the first to be
> dragged out of their homes into the streets and
> staked out on a beach somewhere, there to await
> the "rising tide."

;-)

The danger as I see it is the fixation on CO2. It's
genuine pollution and water scarcity and famine and
poverty that gets lost in all of this (not to mention
the likelihood of a more nuclear world).

In the popular imagination CO2 becomes "emissions"
which becomes "pollutants" which becomes "toxic" which
becomes "poison". The BBC for example will typically
illustrate the mention of CO2 with smoke and fumes
pouring out of industrial chimney stacks.

For sceptics, James Hansen of NASA is the "arch
villain". But in coming out against the Copenhagen
jamboree and it's promotion of a market in "carbon
indulgences", he seems to me to be right about
something at least!

If you haven't seen it, I wonder if you would be
interested in this article by A.A.Gill on Copenhagen:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/copenhagen/article6954391.ece

http://tinyurl.com/ybdvvp2

His take:

"But, despite that, what makes the green movement
triumphantly successful is that it has the most
important and precious of things: it has a story.

It is telling us our own saga, the adventure of saving
the world. This has all the elements of a great myth,
the impossible trials, the dragons and giants to be
defeated, the magic seeds to be found, the wells and
fountains of health and youth, the band of brothers,
the implacable enemy. The princesses to be rescued.
The kingdoms to be won.

If you look at the global warming debate as simply the
first draft of the first new creation myth to be
invented in thousands of years, then you see why it's
irresistible. Who wouldn't want to be part of their
own fairy tale?"