Study: TV May Perpetuate Race Bias

By ALICE PARK Alice Park

Sat Dec 19, 12:40 am ET

Most people regard watching television as a passive
activity. You sit, you watch. Occasionally, you change
the channel. But a new study reveals that even this
passive diversion may lead to actively damaging
effects, particularly when it comes to issues of race.

In a series of intricately designed experiments,
psychologists at Tufts University demonstrate that
subtle racial biases are often expressed by characters
on popular television shows, and that viewers not only
pick up these attitudes but allow them to shape their
own outlooks on race. The most insidious part of this
cultural traffic, the researchers found, is that the
transmission of race bias appears to occur
subconsciously, unbeknownst to the viewer.

Led by Max Weisbuch, a postdoctoral student in the lab
of Tufts psychology professor Nalini Ambady,
researchers designed the multipart study to examine the
communication of race bias on television to white
college-age volunteers. Weisbuch and his team were
intrigued by the fact that despite a significant
reduction in overt expressions of racism in modern
American society - the country has, after all, just
elected its first black president - studies
consistently find that many people still show biased or
negative attitudes toward African-Americans, primarily
through nonverbal means such as facial expressions,
crossed arms and averted gazes. The psychologists
wondered how such biases could persist in a society in
which racism is socially unacceptable and indeed
publicly denounced.

So the group decided to examine the medium of
television, which connects the vast majority of
Americans, and through which many people predominantly
receive their social and cultural cues. The study
looked at 11 popular prime-time TV shows, such as
Heroes, Scrubs, House, CSI: Miami and Grey's Anatomy,
whose casts include both white and black recurring
characters of equal status.

In the first of a series of four studies, researchers
showed participants TV clips in which a white character
and black character interact - but the segments were
stripped of sound and the black character was digitally
deleted. The idea was to ensure that neither race nor
dialogue would color viewers' analysis. The exercise
was repeated with the white character deleted.

Researchers then asked the viewers, white college
students, to evaluate in each circumstance, whether the
unseen character appeared to be treated positively or
negatively by the seen character, and how well liked he
or she appeared to be. In the end, across the majority
of TV shows, viewers consistently said that the white
characters had received more positive treatment and
were better liked than their black counterparts.

What fascinated Weisbuch was that the viewers' judgment
of the characters was based purely on nonverbal cues,
from facial expressions to body language. In fact, when
participants were given transcripts of the verbal
content of the clips, they saw no difference in the way
black or white target characters were treated by
speaking characters. These expressions may have been
scripted into the show by writers, or by productions
editors or the director, but nevertheless, researchers
say they demonstrate unfavorably biased attitudes
toward black characters.

Next, researchers tried to figure out whether this
nonverbal bias was being communicated to people
watching the show. Researchers created two sets of
short, silent clips, one pro-white and the other pro-
black. In the pro-white set, white characters were
treated positively and black characters were treated
negatively; in the pro-black clips, the reverse was
true. A separate group of students was asked to view
either the pro-white or pro-black TV clips. Afterward,
the students completed a questionnaire that was
presented as a different study, but actually served as
a measure of their racial bias. The results suggested
that students who viewed the pro-white clips were much
more likely to demonstrate racial bias than those
watching the pro-black clips. "That suggests that
exposure to the nonverbal behaviors affects bias," says
Prof. Ambady.

The scientists went on to demonstrate that the viewers
were unaware of the clips' effect. In another part of
the study, students were asked to watch the same pro-
white and pro-black clips, but this time they were also
instructed to be on the look- out for evidence of
subtle biased behavior. Afterward, viewers were asked
to determine whether white characters or black
characters were treated better.

Because each set of clips was created to favor one
group or the other, there was only one right answer to
the question. The students had a 50-50 chance of
responding correctly - and that's exactly how well they
did, no better than chance. In other words, the
patterns of bias expressed in the characters' nonverbal
behavior were not obvious to the viewers. "The effect
[television has] on viewers might be something less
than conscious," says Weisbuch.

The findings suggest that despite the progress that has
been made in addressing racism in the America, we may
still be perpetuating prejudice in subtle ways - and,
if Weisbuch's findings are validated, in ways that we
may not even realize. "Human beings are thinking,
cognizant, conscious beings who can be strategic and
intentional," says John Dovidio, a professor of
psychology at Yale University who wrote an editorial
accompanying Weisbuch's study, published Thursday in
Science. "But we are also kind of emotional and we do a
lot of things without full conscious awareness. What
this research suggests is that although our minds are
in the right places, and we may truly believe we are
not prejudiced, our hearts aren't quite there yet."

Acknowledging the disconnect may be the first step in
bridging the gap between our hearts and minds, says
Ambady. Figuring out exactly where and how subtle
biases creep into our culture would be a start. To do
that, we may have to start watching television more
actively, and astutely, instead of passively absorbing
everything we see.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948662,00.html?xid=rss-fullhealthsci-yahoo

http://tinyurl.com/y8ppun2