It's fun having seen a movie that inspires one to
ponder its deeper implications. It's even more fun
having one's own copy of the movie, so that when one
of those ponderings leads you into uncharted territory,
you can just fire up the movie and watch it again to
see whether your ponderings might have really been
shared by the filmmaker or are entirely your own.

It's also fun writing about these ponderings, even if
only for a forum where I know many posters either won't
want to read what I write or literally *can't* because
they lack the attention span to do so. The moment they
see a post longer than Twitter-length, their minds tune
out and their hands move automatically to the Next key.
But that's appropriate in a way, because I'm writing
about them and they'll never realize it.  :-)  :-)  :-)

Earlier I rapped about the strange reaction I found in
the "gaming community" to AVATAR. Yes, there are many
who loved the film, but there is a *very* vocal minority
that *hated* it with a passion. And I find the reasons
*WHY* they hate it fascinating, and an interesting
commentary on gaming itself, and what it does to the
minds and hearts of those addicted to it.

Many of the criticisms have to do with the film having
a "weak plot." Ironically, these criticisms come mainly
from gamers whose idea of an intelligent plot line is an
endless stream of Bad Guys to shoot, blow up, or otherwise
destroy -- as many of them as possible, with as little
intervening plotline as possible.

SURE the basic plot of AVATAR is simple, nigh unto
simplistic. So are the plots of most of the great myths on
planet Earth. But frankly, given his audience -- trained by
TV and movies and computer games to have no expectations
of a work in terms of plot than to look forward to the next
action scene -- it's about the best he could come up with.
It's not, after all, as if someone whose entire idea of
"plot" revolves around "Where is the next Bad Guy to shoot?"
and "When are we going to get to blow something else up?"
and "Where are the next points to be scored?" can *handle*
a real plot.

Also, to someone caught up in the gaming mentality (or the
corporate Capitalist mentality), the concept of plot or having
an actual goal for one's actions other than racking up kills
and racking up points (money) is *contrary* to the very gaming
mentality. Gaming isn't *about* long-term goals. It's about
*forgetting* long-term goals and immersing oneself in short-
term goals. "Just gotta kill the next Bad Guy before he kills
me." "Just gotta accumulate more points (money) so I can make
it to the next level of the game." "Gotta." "Just gotta."

As mused earlier, it's an addiction thang, not a reasoned
thang or an intellect thang. The whole *point* of the gaming
mentality is to *ignore* the Big Picture and immerse oneself
in the ever-changing minutiae of new Bad Guys to kill and new
points to accumulate. It's an entire mindset based on compul-
sion and on never stopping to think about what one is being
compulsive about.

I am not the first to make such observations. The most popular
games are those in which there is no actual "final goal." The
only thing that happens when you "win" is that the game restarts
and you have to "win" it all over again. Or you get to move to
the next "level" of the game, which not suprisingly looks
exactly like the previous level of the game -- shoot the Bad
Guys and accumulate points (money).

Now I ask you...doesn't this sound a lot like LIFE, as lived
by most of the people on this planet? Doesn't it sound a lot
like the descriptions of samsara, or illusion, and the never-
ending repetition of the Same Old Same Old, life after life,
incarnation after incarnation that spiritual teachers talk
about? Doesn't it sound a lot like chasing something unobtain-
able, endlessly, rather than stepping back and thinking about
what might actually be worth obtaining?

In AVATAR, the element that the "Sky people" (invaders from
Earth, which they have raped and pillaged to the point that it
can no longer support their needs) are on planet Pandora for
is sought compulsively because it contains the energy that
they need to live (keep playing the game). Hilariously,
Cameron calls this element "unobtainium."

This term has been used in engineering and science fiction
since the 1950s for any fictional material that, if found,
supplies all that would be desired of it. Cameron uses it as a
poignant joke, because the "Sky people" -- having destroyed
their own planet in search of unobtainium -- are now ready,
willing, and able to destroy another one. The impact of
their actions (destroying a second planet) is not important;
all that is important is obtaining the unobtainium.

Sound a lot like the Wheel Of Karma? Sound a lot like Maya?
Sound a lot like the "gamer mentality?" Sound a lot like the
corporate Capitalist mentality? Sound a lot like the mentality
of the climate change deniers and the "STFU and let us keep
destroying the planet" True Believers who sabotaged the recent
Copenhagen talks or who applaud them falling apart?

I think it's supposed to sound a lot like those things.

I think James Cameron is smart enough to have taken that step
back from the lemming-like, addictive pursuit of unobtainium
and put a little thought into what exactly is worth obtaining.
In his film, it's a life lived in tune with one's environment
and with one's fellow beings, and a life lived *without* the
constant struggle for "unobtainium." It's a life spent enjoy-
ing and celebrating that which can actually be obtained --
Life, Here and Now.

And those caught up in the game hate him for presenting it,
even as a possibility.