--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...> wrote:

>   The Odds of Airborne Terror
>
> "...the odds of being on given departure
> which is the subject of a terrorist incident
> have been 1 in 10,408,947 over the past decade."
>
> by Nate Silver

Better tell Obama:

...A full investigation has been launched into this
attempted act of terrorism, and we will not rest until
we find all who were involved and hold them
accountable.

Now, this was a serious reminder of the dangers that we
face and the nature of those who threaten our homeland.
Had the suspect succeeded in bringing down that plane,
it could have killed nearly 300 passengers and crew,
innocent civilians preparing to celebrate the holidays
with their families and friends.

The American people should be assured that we are doing
everything in our power to keep you and your family
safe and secure during this busy holiday season.

Since I was first notified of this incident, I have
ordered the following actions to be taken to protect
the American people and to secure air travel.

First, I directed that we take immediate steps to
ensure the safety of the traveling public. We made sure
that all flights still in the air were secure and could
land safely. We immediately enhanced screening and
security procedures for all flights, domestic and
international. We added federal air marshals to flights
entering and leaving the United States. And we're
working closely in this country, federal, state and
local law enforcement, with our international partners.

Second, I have ordered two important reviews, because
it's absolutely critical that we learn from this
incident and take the necessary measures to prevent
future acts of terrorism....

As a nation, we will do everything in our power to
protect our country. As Americans, we will never give
in to fear or division. We will be guided by our hopes,
our unity, and our deeply held values. That's who we
are as Americans; that's what our brave men and women
in uniform are standing up for as they spend the
holidays in harm's way. And we will continue to do
everything that we can to keep America safe in the new
year and beyond....