> Has anybody done any DNA studies?  Something sticks
> in my mind having to do with DNA and Native Americans,
> but I can't remember what.

> Wait.  Tibetans??  How would they have acquired the
> necessary sailing skills?  Did they have a
> tradition of exploration?  Would they have been
> monkish types, or merchant types?

Not sure how many DNA studies have  been done; below is an
interesting (if lengthy) overview on the subject as a whole (though
I see no mention of Tibet here). As to the Tibetan links with the
Navajo and Apache, I am unable ATM to find the densely-argued
internet papers mentioned earlier. It would appear at least some of
them were priestly types, given the numerous correspondences in
cosmology and sand painting, as well as sacred dances, costumes, and
so on. Again, don't know about DNA, but physical similarities are
stunning. Some scholars agree there are definite links between Sino-
Tibetan and Athabascan (Navajo-Apache) languages; others remain
skeptical.

 http://www.palden.co.uk/hhn/essays/hhn-25.html
 Essays on geopolitics
history and the future
 Palden Jenkins
25. The Columbus myth

The myth that Columbus discovered the Americas is subscribed to
today and was recently reaffirmed in 1992 in North America on its
500 year anniversary. It is a resilient myth, and great interests
are vested in maintaining it. A sure sign of this is the general
academic refusal to research the matter seriously or to consider any
evidence which undermines the Columbian creed. Denial of the
validity of evidence is insufficient, even though some claims made
for pre-Columban trans-oceanic contact are inconclusive or dubious.
There is strong evidence for such contact. It is unjustified to
reject this quite plausible hypothesis on the basis that some
inconclusive evidence implies that all evidence is spurious – a
classic sceptic's technique.

My own interest in this was aroused in 1986 when I met a farmer in
Cornwall (SW Britain) on whose land lies the ancient Merry Maidens
stone circle. He recounted that, when grubbing up an old earthen
field boundary some years before, he had found a deeply-buried
greenstone arrowhead which his son then took to school to show his
teacher. The teacher sent it to the British Museum for
identification, and the reply returned that it was at least 5,000
years old and derived from specific rock deposits in Minnesota. The
possibility of this being a hoax was minuscule: there is little
point planting evidence in a place where it is unlikely to be found
or to be accepted as valid evidence – hoaxers need a pay-off. The
farmer had little interest in prehistory – he was a classic farmer-
type! What was interesting to me was that this evidence suggested
west-to-east travel, from the `New' to the `Old' World, while one
would tend to expect east-to-west travel, if anything. West Cornwall
was frequented in ancient times by tin traders from the
Mediterranean, particularly Phoenicians. Cornwall was a major
trading place for tin, a valuable metal in alloy production in Roman
times, so this region was a seafaring node. The Phoenicians were
also intrepid travellers with a penchant for keeping their trade-
sources and destinations secret. They are known to have travelled
around Africa and as far as Scandinavia, and there is reasonable
evidence they reached the Azores too. As intrepid seafarers, America
is not out of the question as a destination.

Evidence for ancient contacts over both the Atlantic and the Pacific
with the Americas is certainly sufficient to deserve greater
attention and a preliminary acceptance that Columbus was not the
first to `discover' America. We know that the Vikings and the Irish
(St Brendan) had been there, together with Nicholas of Lynn in 1360.
The Vikings actually spent a few centuries visiting eastern North
America, and penetrating well into the Great Lakes and possibly to
the Gulf of Mexico. Ian Wilson points out that Columbus had gained
his navigational information from English fishermen and traders in
Iceland. However, this is not the full story.

Much of the evidence for trans-oceanic contact is circumstantial and
debatable – for example, the use of parallel building styles and
techniques on both sides of the Atlantic, the existence of specific
species on both sides of the Atlantic and Pacific and the existence
of similar items of vocabulary or other cultural traits connecting
specific cultures in the Americas with those of Eurasia. However,
some evidence is much more definite, taking the form of specific
remains found in the Americas which seem Old World in origin. One of
the most contentious areas lies in the field of epigraphy, the study
of ancient rock-carved motifs found in America, spearheaded by the
enthusiastic Harvard scholar Barry Fell and his associates.

Amongst these remains are included Iberic-Roman amphorae of the
+100s-300s found in Maine, Honduras and Rio de Janeiro, late Roman
coins found in Texas, Massachusetts, off Venezuela, in Brazil, North
Carolina, Ohio, Georgia and Oklahoma, Roman lamps in Alabama,
Connecticut and Peru; inconclusive though possible Hebrew
inscriptions in Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, New Mexico and
Arizona, Phoenician inscriptions in W Virginia, Cape Cod and Rhode
Island and Brazil; Muslim coins at Cambridge, Massachusetts (which
might have been left by Vikings ) and Venezuela, and Arabic tokens
in Tennessee, Indiana and New York.

This is not all. There seems to have been extensive visitation to
the Americas by two major groups: Africans (specifically Ghanaians
or Malians) and Chinese, Annamese (Vietnamese) and Japanese. The
High Chief of Ghana is reputed to have sailed to the Caribbean with
a flotilla in the -800s, according to later Islamic scholars. It is
solidly arguable that the enormous heads carved by the Olmecs of
Mexico around that time, and Mayan murals of dark-skinned beings at
Bonampak and Chichen Itza were depictions of Africans. Burials of
negroid bones have been identified at Tlatilco, Cerro de las Mesas
and Monte Alban in Mexico. The black Carib and Arawaki peoples of
the south Caribbean and Panama, who lived there long before the
slave trade from Africa started, leave a big question as to their
origin, together with the `Mandinga' language of minorities from
Venezuela to Nicaragua. In addition, the use of American maize and
cassava in west Africa before Europeans arrived needs some
explaining. Sultan Abubakari of Mali was recorded in the +1300s
Arabian History of Africa to have led 200 vessels westwards – it
should be remembered that favourable currents make such navigation
quite rapid. It was shown by Thor Heyerdahl in the raft Ra to take
55 days, and by Hannes Lindemann, who sailed across the Atlantic in
56 days by dugout canoe. There are also carvings at La Venta and
Monte Alban in Mexico and Guatemala which show bearded Caucasian-
type people.

Contact between Asia and America is marginally easier than from
Europe, following the line of the Aleutian islands from Siberia to
Alaska and down the American west coast – it is estimated that
thousands of wrecked junks were washed ashore on the north-west
coast of America between +200 and +1800, by dint of the Kuro Shio
ocean currents. If wrecked junks can get there, so can seaworthy
junks too – not to mention unsinkable bamboo rafts recently
demonstrated to have been able to sail from Vietnam to Canada.
Genetic and artefact links in America deriving from Japan and Shang
and Zhou China are established and suspected to be extensive,
amongst the north-western Haida people, the ancient Valdivia culture
of Equador, in Peru, at Vera Cruz in Mexico and at some of the
Yucatan Mayan remains, and repeated Chinese chronicles give details
of Fu-Sang, the `Isle of the Blest', so named by them around +100.

Chinese visiting America in more recent times have reported the
ability to communicate with Sioux, Apache, Bolivian Quecha and some
Peruvian peoples. The Shan Hai Ching was a Chinese world survey
comprising 32 geographical journals, compiled around -2250 (during
the megalithic period in Europe) in the reigns of Shang emperors
Huang-ti and Yao. Inscriptions and linguistic connections between
Asia and American peoples exist also, as noted by mythographer
Joseph Campbell, who compared Chinese and Mexican motifs in detail.
The emergence around -500 of the Izapan culture of Mexico is
connected by some to maritime contact with Chinese, with Chinese
motifs appearing at Izapan, Mexico and Kaminaljuyu in Guatemala.

The Celts have American traditions too, ranging from the westward
sailing of the Irish hero Cuchulainn (whom some theorise on a long-
shot to be Quetzalcoatl) to the voyages of St Brendan and the
Welshman Madoc. Brendan was a well-loved abbot whose voyage to
America in a curragh was emulated by Tim Severin in 1977. While
sceptics use the more fanciful parts of the stories recounted in
Vita Brendani and Navigatio Sancti Brendani to demonstrate that the
tradition was spurious, many of the records correspond
topographically with the likely journey from Ireland, via the
Faeroes, Iceland and Greenland to Labrador – with some embellishment
thrown in which should not be used to negate all of the information.
It was this tradition of Brendan's voyage which drew the Vikings
westward, only to meet Celtic monks living in Iceland and Greenland.
Even the Arabian geographer Al Idrisi mentioned `Great Ireland'
(Irlandah-al-Kabirah) west of Iceland in his atlas of 1154. Many
medieval maps showed Brendan's Isle and the mythical Celtic land of
Hy-Breasail, up to the time of Columbus. But was Brendan the first
Celt to cross `the pond', or was he himself working from prior
navigational information?

There are hints of earlier Celtic visits to America. Fell and others
make extensive claims identifying rock glyphs in Colorado, Oklahoma,
Mexico and other places – even Japan – as Ogam, the ancient Druidic
magical script. Stone chambered mounds of New England (such as
Calendar I) satisfactorily resemble British megalithic mounds,
obeying similar principles of alignment to the rising and setting
points of the sun and moon as are found in Britain. This can, of
course, be `coincidence', but coincidence needs explaining too!

Welsh remains have been identified in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee
and Missouri. Welsh-speaking natives were noted by early settlers in
New Jersey and the Carolinas, and an ongoing dispute has gone on
over the white-skinned Mandan Indians of North Dakota, who honoured
an ancestor called Madoc Maho and who understood Welsh. Convincing
Welsh traditions record that Madoc ab Owain Gwynedd sailed westwards
in 1170 from north Wales, to return later to collect more people and
return to Alabama. Structures investigated by Mallery in Ohio showed
quite clear signs of Celtic technologies.

Then there are assorted contacts made during the Middle Ages, the
best known of which was the voyage of Leif Eriksson from Iceland
to `Vinland' or `Markland' (Newfoundland, Nova Scotia or Cape Cod),
landing in 1003. The second expedition under Thorvald Eriksson
landed up in conflict with Algonquin warriors, leading to
abandonment of the project. Incidentally, Muslim linguistic links
with the Algonquin have been suggested – these are not disconnected,
since the Vikings traded with the Arabs of Baghdad, and it is
conceivable that they could have carried Muslim sailors or
travellers with them. It is suggested that the Viking colony
possibly numbered some thousands of people. Adam of Bremen, a
historian, noted that Vinland was well known for its wines. This
transatlantic traffic seems to have continued until the late 1340s,
when bubonic plague hit Iceland, Norway and presumably the American
colony, decimating the scant population. However, a rune-stone
dating to 1362 (quite late for Vikings) was found in Minnesota, and
Mallery discovered further sites along the St Lawrence and in
Virginia – though these are greeted with a mixture of ridicule,
disinterest and doubt. The best known site is at L'Anse aux Meadows
in Newfoundland, although there is reason to believe Irish settlers
of around +700 preceded Vikings at this site. Note that Columbus
visited Reykjavik in Iceland in 1477, before his famed voyages!

Late Medieval European mapmakers seem to have possessed information
about far-off lands to the west – especially Martellus and Behaim.
The Zeno and Piri Reis maps hint at much greater knowledge of the
geography of the world than we think. Apparently a forefather of
Nicolo Zeno accompanied Henry Sinclair, Earl of Orkney, to spend
nine years in America from 1395, following the old Viking north
Atlantic route. This cartographical issue is a complex area, though
it deserves further research. The Catholic church held a flat earth
to be true doctrine, and geographers who questioned this were
persecuted, not least Mercator. Behaim and others, however, marked
significant lands west over the Atlantic on their maps.

In the period immediately preceding Columbus' celebrated landfall,
there seems to have been some European activity in North America. In
1472, Diedrich Pining and Johannes Skolp appear to have landed in
Newfoundland and charted numerous islands. There are signs that the
Portuguese had discovered the Americas before Columbus, holding
their voyages secret until a near-war broke out between Portugal and
Spain when the Pope gave the Spaniards exclusive rights to colonise
the `Indies'. The known voyages of Diogo de Sevill in 1427 and
Cabral in 1431 to the Azores, and the several voyages of Joao
Fernandez between 1431 and 1486 can be construed as possible secret
visits to the Americas. There is also incomplete evidence, including
notes by Columbus himself, to show that merchant adventurers from
Bristol were visiting the Americas in the 1470s, the Genoese John
Cabot (Giovanni Caboto) amongst them.

As an aside to this, Ian Wilson suggests that the name America was
not, as is commonly held, named after Amerigo Vespucci, the
Portuguese explorer who mapped the coast of South America 1499-1502.
Rather, it was named after Richard Ameryk (ap Meryke), a Bristolian
merchant and customs collector of Welsh extraction, and later
immortalised by the mapmaker Waldseemueller.

All these bits of evidence and signs of transoceanic connections
can, of course, be taken to be fantasy, or the work of some sort of
conspiracy of unpatriotic Americans or foreigners to construct a
case against the US policy of `isolationism'. Or they can be taken
as signs of something genuine. Since the prevailing ideology is that
Columbus `discovered' America, and since this ideology is important
to the notion of white Anglo-Saxon Protestant supremacy in USA,
there is a disinclination to accept such evidence as valid for
further research or even for consideration. Spanish Latino South
Americans aren't too enthusiastic to imbibe this stuff either.
However, the extent of evidence, from artefacts, remains,
anthropological and linguistic data, Old World records, maps and
traditions, from modern-day re-creations of historic seafaring craft
and voyages and – dare it be said – from sense, suggests that the
Americas have been quite well connected to the Old World for
millennia. In fact, as we shall see later, it might have been going
on for more millennia than historians would care to consider.

Why should Americans and historic traditions so aggressively hold to
the idea that, after the initial academically-accepted immigrations
over the glacial land-bridge from Siberia to Alaska tens of
millennia ago, there was no contact until 1492? Surely it would be
ennobling to the American heritage to acknowledge and investigate
this? Surely it would offer more of a sense of historical continuity
to the history of the Americas?

The answer is found in the early days of American history, when the
Conquistadors in Central and South America and the European settlers
in the North were establishing themselves on the continent. The
philosophies of each were somewhat different – the Conquistadors
were undoubtedly plunderers and imperialists while the early
Europeans in North America were predominantly settlers seeking a new
life. From the beginning, the Conquistadors sought to overcome the
native civilisations of the Aztecs, Incas and others, and to gain as
much power and booty as possible, fabricating many myths to justify
this outrage. Cortes created a story to portray the Aztecs as
passive in action and fatalistic in attitude, which has been
disputed only in recent times.

In North America, relations with the local Indians were initially
tolerant-to-friendly, with tales of Indians saving settlers from
famine or disaster, and a few intermarriages. However, an initiative
to push out and later overcome the Indians was eventually taken as
settlement and colonial government grew. This led to the Indian Wars
of the 1630s and 1670s, which led to increasing containment, forced
migration and elimination of Indian tribes across the continent up
to the 20th century.

These were historically very important choices. The story of the
Americas would have been very different if the white settlers and
conquistadors had instead elected to fraternise, trade and cooperate
with the indigenous Americans. In most cases the native Americans
were initially friendly with the settlers, and it was their initial
trust and gentility which made them vulnerable. However, a fatal
mixture of governmental and mercantile greed, plus the settler urge
to start a new life whatever the cost – often following from great
hardship, oppression and disruption in Europe – caused an enormous
ethnic decision to be made. A discontinuity was imposed on the
history of the Americas which not only disempowered and devastated
the native Americans, but also founded a bundle of new nations – the
nations of the Americas – which were rootless and disconnected from
their environment. In USA today, arguments over whether to permit
Spanish – the language of recent immigrants from Latin America – as
an official language now challenge the dominant Anglo-Saxon
Protestant culture, raising fears and a sense of outrage which smack
of a rebound from the days of the violent immigration of Europeans
in preceding centuries.

The European imposition has set the tone of life in the Americas
ever since: the expansion of the white-skins led to the contraction
of the indigenous Americans, and the new-found freedom of colonists
meant oppression and genocide for the natives. Settlers from the Old
World have seen the Americas as a land for taking and exploiting, to
the maximum. It has been a land for the fulfilment of dreams,
epitomised in late-20th century Californian culture.

Had the settlers chosen to act as guests, developments in America
would have been very different. The civilisation would now,
theoretically, be much more attuned to the land and to the native
peoples – and the native peoples would not have been exterminated to
the degree they were. In addition, mass immigration of settlers in
the 1800s would have been smaller in volume, since the land would
not have presented itself so strongly as a `land of opportunity' –
settlers would have had to accommodate to cultural changes more than
they did.

The white-supremacist notion arose from an amoral psychological
basis on which USA, in particular, was founded – despite the strong
religious element amongst its founding fathers. America was seen as
a land of refuge and freedom for Europeans, where there were no
limits to their expansion-possibilities – these limits have been
found only when the space filled up, when the paradise of California
began taking the form of a smoggy and endless housing development.
In USA, rights were given to white Americans and denied to natives,
who were seen simply as obstructions to progress. The respecting of
native rights and ways would have implied a massive change in the
nature of white civilisation in the Americas.

Even in the 1800s, the discovery of advanced civilisations in Mexico
could not be accepted for decades, until the evidence became so
overwhelming that it could not be ignored. Recognising the greatness
and sophistication of native urban civilisations would implicitly
call the nascent white culture into question. New England was so
named because of the pastoral landscape and economy of the north-
eastern native peoples, which produced a landscape reminiscent of
England (even though the area is ecologically more Scandinavian than
English). After initial cooperation, the growing numbers of white
settlers cleared native Americans from their lands by sheer
firepower and use of the forceful psychology of private property,
which the Indians did not possess – this was a repetition of the
manner by which the Saxons, Vikings and Normans overcame the
indigenous British and Irish some 800-1500 years earlier. Many white
settlers were incapable of behaving otherwise: God was on their
side, the government sectioned out the land and all available wealth
and resources were there for the taking. There were those who argued
for respecting the Indians, but they were overwhelmed.

Even today, in New England, native peoples are presumed extinct. Yet
they discreetly live and work in modern society, leaving remains of
recent and present-day ceremonial activities within but a short
distance of Boston and New York. However, if native peoples were to
be fully recognised for their rights and prerogatives, and if an
adjustment were made on a fair and accommodating basis, a massive
redistribution of land and resources would have to take place,
undermining the very basis on which modern American life stands.
Indian `reservations' would rightly expand to cover vast
territories – not only the poorest ones. Indian holy places standing
atop ore deposits would remain so, and not just a few military bases
would have to close. Such a settlement would be a legal and
constitutional nightmare – which is why no one wishes to broach the
subject at all! White-people's priorities for interstate highways
and shopping malls would need to be subordinated to many of the
priorities of the Indian nations. The position of black Afro-
Americans would be awkward, since they weren't even voluntary
settlers who claimed land rights as the white people had – even
though most of their foreparents were there before most whites. The
story in Latin America is the same: Latinos form an overclass with
control of the best land, resources and the political and economic
order, while Indians, be they Amazonian tribes or the remnants of
Mayans, Aztecs or Incas, form a seriously-dispossessed peasantry,
fit in Latinos' eyes only for manual work and marginalisation.

Thus, the `isolationist' theory of the history of the Americas is
ideologically important for the dominant classes of the modern
Americas. The Columbus myth justifies the approach Anglo-Saxons and
Latinos have taken to colonising the `New World' – which is in truth
culturally as old as anywhere. Not only this, but the Americas would
be psychologically more connected to the rest of the world –
isolationism and the principle of the Monroe Doctrine rest heavily
on Columban mythology. Not only this, but Afro-Americans, mostly
brought over as slaves, would find a deeper emotional connection
with the land and cultures of the Americas, through their highly
probable ancient transatlantic links, predating the Europeans. Not
only this, but the Sino-Japanese, even Vietnamese, ancient
connections with West Coast America, now developing in a new way
through the Pacific Rim boom, would give modern Pacific coast
integration a greater historical scope.

Even though much of the evidence for ancient linkages with the
Americas is patchy, inconclusive to the sceptic, and subject to the
unscientific enthusiasms of alternative researchers, it is
sufficient, prodigious and varied enough to deserve massive
attention. Yet, the equally unscientific reluctance to do so betrays
ideological discomfort. America of today would prefer not to have
deep cultural roots: with such roots, the culture would have to
mature and reintegrate drastically. It is far better to maintain the
myth – to spend millions on it if necessary – than to acknowledge
the primacy of native peoples, and to be willing to ask them whether
the immigrants of the last 500 years actually are welcome.