--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> In common with some other posters here on FFL I may
> have given the impression that Mr Barry White Esq of
> El Pedro Towers, Sitges is some kind of old pervert,
> fixated by babes in bikinis, incapable of toiling
> honestly for a decent day's pay, and spending far too
> much time with the wine, olives and donkeys between
> lengthy siestas.

First, to clear up things:
* It's Barry Wright, not Barry White. The latter
was somewhat larger than moi and possessed of a
darker skin and deeper voice.
* I do occasionally toil for a decent day's pay.
Just not today.
* While I admit to being an old pervert and some-
what fixated on babes in bikinis when they cross
my path, I don't see anything particularly wrong
with that, or with you pointing it out.
* I do enjoy wine and olives, but have not seen
a donkey since arriving in Spain, and I just don't
*do* siestas of any length. I get by with a good
night's sleep, thank you.

> ...Specifically I may have given the
> impression that the series of shrill harangues
> directed his way by a certain New York pugilist may
> have been in many cases quite justified.
>
> Phrases such as "She may have a point there" or "You
> know she seems to reason in a quite dispassionate way"
> and "Her attention to minutiae sure forced him to give
> up there" may have led readers to believe that I was
> unduly enamoured with the fairness and reasonableness
> of Ms Stein's approach to FFL and its little
> controversies.

For what it's worth, this old, bikini-fixated
pervert never thought that. I just thought you
were being honest. Besides, having seen the photo
she posted to FFL, I would never for a moment ever
have suspected you of being enamoured with any
aspect of Ms. Stein.

> I now realise, having gained some personal experience
> of the bricbats and character assasination endemic to
> the *reasoning* style of the diktat-issuer in
> question, that there was not a jot nor scintilla of
> truth in any of the above. I am happy to accept now Mr
> White's protestations viz. that her attacks on him had
> a lot more in common with the petulance and tantrums
> of Mr John McEnroe circa 1980 (also of New York
> funnily enough) than the subtle and finely drawn
> distinctions of Mr Ludwig Witggenstein, late of 30
> Accacia Gardens, Notty Ash, Cambridge.

The McEnroe analogy is apt. It's all about seeing
*everything* as an ego-battle, and throwing tantrums
when one loses one of those battles.

> I would like to apologise for any distress or
> confusion caused by my credulity and laziness and my
> tendency to write post after boring post rather than
> find out what's really going on.

Been there, done that. There is a certain "Tarbaby"
quality to Ms. Stein, if you are familiar with that
Uncle Remus story. For a short while one can actually
enjoy poking at a big, amorphous lump of tar. It's
when you find that you can't get *away* from the big,
amorphous lump of tar that you realize you've been
suckered.

Punch away, and as effectively as you have this week.
But don't ever delude yourself that you can "win."
You are "fighting" a Tarbaby who declares "victory"
as long as you are still stuck to it or interacting
with it.

P.S. I'm still curious as to what you thought I
might have been doing with the donkeys.  :-)