--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:
> I play a bit and I think it's so cool to see the "moves".
>
> The original:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2m-tR_7tS8

That was great!  Thanks for posting it.  Lots of feeling.

The thing about Jimi and Stevie Ray for me is not that they are technically
impossible.  Go into any local Guitar Center and I guarantee there is some
teenager knocking out one of their songs note for note.  But the difference is
where the music is coming from. Jimi and Stevie Ray are both communicating
their moment to moment feelings and for this music (blues and blues based rock)
that is everything. It is what conveys the "rightness" you mentioned.  Most
players are coming from a memory space to make sure they get every note that
Stevie and Jimi were producing from their hearts. In that way Jimi is an
extension of the Delta players who were known for their raw direct emotional
expression in their music compared to the slick more self-conscious styles that
emerged in a lot of stylized urban blues.

I am always drawn to players who are feeling and playing it directly.
Sometimes you go to a club and you hear a guy playing even the feedback parts
of Jimi's music note for note, but it lacks the emotional intensity of guys who
actually play feedback as Jimi did as a sonic extension of his guitar.  They
will play it differently every time which is closer to what the greats do IMO.
As Louis Armstrong said: "You blows what you is!"

Another link they have to the Delta performers was their use of innovations to
allow them to express more textures of emotions through their instruments.  The
Delta guys used slides to eke out every nuance from the strings, more like the
human voice.  They bent the notes of the harmonica changing the key so the
notes were based on their own mouths and throats rather then the metal of the
instrument.  The use of feedback is directly linked with this tradition of
innovation for more subtle expression as is the use of bending the strings.

I have posted this before but no discussion of Jimi is complete for me without
adding the only acoustic songs I know about that we have videos of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCH9MCOvrHY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyBkv7-rFQ

Here is an audio of him playing around with an acoustic guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4pz45l3-4&feature=related

Thanks for extending the rap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCQBbgb_Lvo