> > The depth of the Indian philosophical systems
> > make western philosophy seem like an ant hill!

Curtis:
> David Hume's "Dialogues on Natural Religion" are
> the Vedanta of Vedanta for me.  By exposing the
> intrinsic contradiction...

We are on the same path, Curtis!

The 'intrinsic contradiction' espoused by David Hume
has a direct counterpart in the Buddhist logician
Nagarjuna, the founder of the 'Madhyamaka' school in
India. Hume and Nagarjuna's logic is very impressive.

Nagarjuna taught the idea of relativity; an object
exists only in relation to other objects. Objects *do
not* have an intrinsic nature; an object is possible
only in relation to other objects.

Which, in a nut shell, means that existence is devoid
of of 'own being' - there is a dependent origination.

The main tenet of this school can be summed up as:
'any proposition, when taken to it's extreme, will
be found to be self-contradictory'.

Ken Wilber agrees with this - he ascribes to
Nagarjuna's hypothesis concerning the dialectic,
outlined in a four-fold negation:

"Neither from itself nor from another,
Nor from both,
Nor without a cause,
Does anything whatever, anywhere arise..."

- Madhyamaka-karika, 1:1.

According to Ken Wilber, this can be termed a
'tetralemma', which follows this logical
propositions:

"X (affirmation)
non-X (negation)
X and non-X (both)
neither X nor non-X (neither)."

> in the very concept of God as being omnipotent
> omniscient and good when compared with the
> state of suffering in the world, he freed
> mankind from thousands of years of superstitious
> beliefs.  We have seen explosive growth in
> every area of human knowledge that embraced
> this freedom.
>
> There is only one area of human knowledge left
> that has refused to have an honest discourse
> on whether the ideas make any sense. It is no
> surprise that this area, shielded from rational
> thought and objections to absurd assertions,
> produces people strapping bombs on their bodies
> to enter an imaginary afterlife.

Agreed!