An old Baptist minister was the friend then of that part of even Transcendental
Meidtation to be religious now.  Is a great story.

John Leland  on Government:

GOVERNMENT, "when rightly formed, embraces Pagans, Jews, Mahometans and
Christians, within its fostering arms--prescribes no creed of faith for
either of them -- proscribes none of them for being heretics, promotes the
man of talents and integrity, without inquiring after his religion --
impartially protects all of them -- punishes the man who works ill to his
neighbor, let his faith and motives be what they may. Who, but tyrants,
knaves and devils, can object to such government?" - Elder John Leland

John Leland (1754-1841), a Baptist preacher whose life involved writing
and preaching about the gospel of Jesus Christ and about the proper
relationship between religion and government. In the latter passion,
Leland agreed with the position of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison,
both of whom he knew personally.

JOHN LELAND: SECULAR HUMANIST OR SEPARATIONIST?

by Gene Garman
http://www.sunnetworks.net/~ggarman/leland.html