> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
<snip>
> > Ear training was taught poorly when I went to college.  The
> > students who depended on it to play their instruments were
> > the best at it.  But those who often wanted to compose and
> > played fixed pitch instruments like piano it could be
> > difficult.  That's why I knew a lot of arrangers who were
> > trombone players and could sit down at a sheet of manuscript
> > paper and write out an arrangement they heard in their head.

<snip>
> What's weird is I don't remember ever *learning* intervals.
> On the piano, it's pretty obvious what they are because
> they correspond to the number of keys from one note of the
> interval to the other: C to G is a fifth because G is the
> fifth key above C.

Didn't quite finish my thought here. I'm mystified by
what you say because it seems to me folks who play the
piano would have the *easiest* time with intervals.
On the piano they're so cut-and-dried, as it were, so
visually obvious, that you'd quickly become able to
associate the sound of the interval with the distance
between the two keys, I should think.