--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozg...@...> wrote:

> authfriend wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:

<snip>
> >> Ear training was taught poorly when I went to college.  The
> >> students who depended on it to play their instruments were
> >> the best at it.  But those who often wanted to compose and
> >> played fixed pitch instruments like piano it could be
> >> difficult.  That's why I knew a lot of arrangers who were
> >> trombone players and could sit down at a sheet of manuscript
> >> paper and write out an arrangement they heard in their head.
> >> It was when I took voice lessons from a really good teacher
> >> and he simply put one through a bunch of exercises just to
> >> train the voice for interval jumps that I became better at
> >> recognizing intervals.
> >
> > All this seems very odd to me as well. The only instrument
> > I've ever played was the piano; took lessons for about three
> > years starting when I was around 8 or 9, never got beyond
> > the stage of obligatory performance at the music teacher's
> > students' recital. I'd been picking out simple tunes by ear
> > on the piano for years before that, though.
>
> Picking out tunes by ear is a little different than
> identifying intervals for ear training.

Sure, I just mentioned that to indicate I didn't start
piano lessons cold.

  However it is never 100% true that fixed
> pitch players are bad at hearing them.  It often the case
> though.

Well, like I say, that baffles me. I can't see why a
keyboard player, at least, has *any* trouble with
intervals.

> A jazz keyboard player who was a child prodigy had perfect
> pitch.  He often brought his own tuning fork and would tune
> the piano up in the club we played in before the gig started.
> Otherwise it would drive him nuts.

Perfect pitch is a whole 'nother thing. That's just
utterly mysterious to me. I can hear when instruments
are out of tune, but I can't tell what a note is when
it's played. If you play a tune and ask me what one
note is, I can tell you where it is on the scale,
though (assuming the tune doesn't modulate partway
through!).

<snip>
> > I do a weird trick: I can whistle and hum in harmony,
> > including some really complicated (rhythmically and
> > harmonically) two-part harmony. (One of my showpieces
> > is whistling "Humoresque" while humming "Swanee River."
> > Also some of the Gilbert and Sullivan choruses in which
> > the men and women sing entirely different tunes, and a
> > Bach two-part invention.)
>
> And doing that would not necessarily depend on being able
> to recognize intervals but just hearing the harmony.

Right, and reproducing it.

> Often it is just a third above the melody line.

Yeah, but I do *much* more complicated stuff than
that. ;-) I should record something and upload it.