I don't know who Amanda Knox is and don't care.

Most Europeans I know wouldn't know or care, either.

To be honest, if you had asked me this question a week
ago, I would have said that I simply don't understand
Americans' fascination with media-fueled "crime stories."

But now I've been stuck in my hotel room for extended
periods of time waiting for conference calls with only
my TV and remote control to amuse me, and I understand
better. The programming on American TV is so bad that
the crime stories on the news are often more entertain-
ing. :-)

The worst so far is "Bad Girls Club," which seems to
be what they call a "reality show" in which they pit
seven or eight megabitches against each other for
several days to see who can dirty-trick the others
out of the running for Big Bitch. Horrific.

I must admit to not having discovered anything I wasn't
watching already that I feel like continuing to watch.
I did watch a few more old episodes of "Bones," and
have come to like Zooey Deschanel's sister Emily. Not
enough to keep watching the series, but she seems to
be a better actress than Zooey. And they could easily
both be TM meditators, so that may even reduces my
"anti-TM quotient."

Since my friends here can't get together with me until
10:00 tonight, I'm looking forward to watching the
resuming series "Fastforward" to see whether they'll be
able to come up with anything interesting.

But I haven't been able to make it through more than 2
or 3 minutes of *any* news show. Enough to realize that
FOX is even more over-the-top than I thought it was, and
that sadly most of the others aren't that far behind. So
I'm really not the person to ask about some news story
personality.