--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> No illusions please: This bill will not be repealed. Even if
> Republicans scored a 1994 style landslide in November, how
> many votes could we muster to re-open the "doughnut hole" and
> charge seniors more for prescription drugs? [etc.]

True, BUT: The Republicans will use the *threat* of repeal
to get votes in November, and they'll get at least some
because their base won't realize it can't be repealed, and
the Democrats are too chicken to call the Republicans liars,
just as they have been throughout this ordeal.

And if the Republicans *do* manage to take over the
majorities, the rest of Obama's agenda is down the tubes--
regulation and global warming and withdrawal from
Afghanistan and everything else we need to get done.

The Republicans are beyond the pale. But if the Democrats
had only had some spine, they could have discredited the
Republicans from the start. And if Obama hadn't been so
entranced by his vision of himself as the great bipartisan
hero, the bill we have now wouldn't be such a clunker. We
had the majorities; we could have gotten through a much
better bill by bulldozing the Republicans.