The blame can be squarley blamed on religion. The religious
fundamentalists destroyed the Republican party -- it goes way back to
Billy Graham's influence over them in the 1960's. A close friend of the
Bush's, and Reagan, and Nixon.

Christian fundamentalism on the one side, and outright greed on the
other, destroyed the Republican party.

OffWorld

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> , "do.rflex" <do.rf...@...>
wrote:

> Waterloo
>
> by David Frum <http://www.frumforum.com/davidfrum
<http://www.frumforum.com/davidfrum> >

>         Conservatives and Republicans today suffered their most
crushing
> legislative defeat since the 1960s.
>
> It's hard to exaggerate the magnitude of the disaster. Conservatives
> may cheer themselves that they'll compensate for today's
> expected vote with a big win in the November 2010 elections. But:
>
> (1) It's a good bet that conservatives are over-optimistic about
> November – by then the economy will have improved and the
immediate
> goodies in the healthcare bill will be reaching key voting blocs.
>
> (2) So what? Legislative majorities come and go. This healthcare bill
is
> forever. A win in November is very poor compensation for this debacle
> now.
>
> So far, I think a lot of conservatives will agree with me. Now comes
the
> hard lesson:
>
> A huge part of the blame for today's disaster attaches to
> conservatives and Republicans ourselves.
>
> At the beginning of this process we made a strategic decision: unlike,
> say, Democrats in 2001 when President Bush proposed his first tax cut,
> we would make no deal with the administration. No negotiations, no
> compromise, nothing. We were going for all the marbles. This would be
> Obama's Waterloo – just as healthcare was Clinton's in 1994.
>
> Only, the hardliners overlooked a few key facts: Obama was elected
with
> 53% of the vote, not Clinton's 42%. The liberal block within the
> Democratic congressional caucus is bigger and stronger than it was in
> 1993-94. And of course the Democrats also remember their history, and
> also remember the consequences of their 1994 failure.
>
> This time, when we went for all the marbles, we ended with none.
>
> Could a deal have been reached? Who knows? But we do know that the gap
> between this plan and traditional Republican ideas is not very big.
The
> Obama plan has a broad family resemblance to Mitt Romney's
> Massachusetts plan. It builds on ideas developed at the Heritage
> Foundation in the early 1990s that formed the basis for Republican
> counter-proposals to Clintoncare in 1993-1994.
>
> Barack Obama badly wanted Republican votes for his plan. Could we have
> leveraged his desire to align the plan more closely with conservative
> views? To finance it without redistributive taxes on productive
> enterprise – without weighing so heavily on small business –
> without expanding Medicaid? Too late now. They are all the law.
>
> No illusions please: This bill will not be repealed. Even if
Republicans