On Mar 26, 2010, at 2:53 AM, cardemaister wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradh...@...> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2010, at 6:44 PM, cardemaister wrote:
>
> > OMG! Vaj, puhleeze, read e.g. the Wikipedia
> > article on Shiva-suutras... :/
>

> Your point?

You said:

"I found your Brahmanic interpretation of the Shaiva Maheshsvara-sutra
interesting, but I find Sw. Karpatri's history more reasonable."

Speaking about "Brahmanic interpretation" of IMO purely technical
(PaaNinian) Shivasuutras seems rather nonsensical...

Wiki:

Within the tradition they are known as the ak&#7779;arasam&#257;mn&#257;ya, "recitation of phonemes," but they are popularly known as the Shiva Sutras because they are said to have been revealed to P&#257;&#7751;ini by Shiva (also known as Maheshvara).

What's nonsensical is claiming the sequence is revealed by Shiva, but it was Panini who heard it, so therefore it's "Vedic". Obviously if it came from Shiva, it's Shaivite. Rather typical of the post hoc glosses of the early Sanskrit translation which attempts to tie earlier traditions to later ones... Shavite traditions tells us differently. Unfortunately there's a huge Brahmanic and Vaishnavite/ Vedic bias on Hindu/Sanskrit Wikipedia articles. But this is to be expected, there are many in India who are not even aware that the bulk of Hinduism derives from earlier, pre-vedic traditions. Fortunately, Swami Karpatri, the candidate for Shank. before SBS (and the primary student of SBS) sets the record straight for us.

In any event, look at the first four sound-units and you'll see the actual point, and the original pronunciation of "OM".