--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_re...@...> wrote:

> How gay can one be if one can still get an erection for
> a gender that they are not oriented towards?  Aren't
> homosexuals put off by the idea of hertosexuality to the
> same degree that heterosexuals are put off

Some are, some aren't. But you need to remember that a
good part of straight guys' horror at the thought of
sex with another man is of social origin rather than a
function of their inherent sexual orientation. For gay
men, that's reversed--their orientation is *toward*
what society doesn't approve of. So it's not parallel.

<snip>
> Seems to me that if one is "pure" then one cannot get it
> up for the "wrong gender."  If one can dally on both sides
> of the fence, what does this say about the concept that
> one is born with an orientation and thus it's natural and
> not deviant?

Nothing. One can be born with an orientation toward
both sexes, with no preference for either.

> If one can be born "bi," then is that a third gender
> orientation, or is it a pathological sign that one is not
> harmonious with one's "birthright?"

Neither. Maybe you could think of it more like race.

Sexual orientation seems to be on a spectrum, from
"pure" homo- to "pure" hetero-, but including
everything in between (with "pure" bi-, I guess, right
in the middle). Actually, probably nobody is "pure"
anything, but some are closer than others. And of
course the distribution isn't even; there are more men
on the hetero- than the homo- side of the spectrum.

Again, though, this is seriously complicated by social
attitudes that can mask (or intensify) inherent
preference. Situation can also play a big role--as
Alex points out, a lot of straight men have sex with
each other in prison.

(Alex, please make any necessary corrections to any of
the above.)