--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>

> <snip>
> > "There are known knowns. These are things we know that
> > we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there
> > are things that we now know we don't know. But there are
> > also unknown unknowns. These are things we do not know
> > we don't know."--Donald Rumsfeld
>
> Interesting choice from whom to quote

Right, as we all know, I'm a warmongering right-winger
who fully supported the Iraq War, so Donald Rumsfeld
is my hero.

> but I have to admit he did nail something interesting.

With all your great expertise in epistemology, I should
have thought you'd know "unknown unknowns" is an
important concept in that field, not something Rumsfeld
invented. (I didn't know that until I noticed there was
a Wikipedia page on it as I was searching for the
exact Rumsfeld quote.)

<snip>
> When dealing with statements by Chopra and Maharishi I
> don't believe that the most important option to keep
> alive is that they might be right about everything.
> Their claims are too grandiose and self-serving. Our mind
> doesn't have to stay so wide open that our brains fall out

Which is why I've repeatedly referred to "keeping the
door open a crack"--i.e., so that our brains *don't*
fall out, but they might let something new in. It
shouldn't be a choice between wide open and closed
tight.