=--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:

> I have only seen one BudPump, but seek to watch more.
>
> The contrast of unfettered description of change in ones inner life (kind of
> ironic huh) from the high-tea, silk couch, victorian approach of the TMO, to
> a more blue jeans approach of BudGas, <snip>

I agree and think the conception of this project is brilliant no matter where
you stand on the "higher states" thoery.  I have listened to 3 of them so far
and think Rick is doing an excellent job in providing a safe venue for people
to expose something pretty intimate while throwing in some good questions to
keep the ball rolling.  I'm sure their openness has a lot to do with Rick's
friendly acceptance.

I've been trying to collect the specific claims about what has changed in their
lives.  Predictably the people who are still very Maharishi directed use his
terms and people who look elsewhere for their intellectual framework use those
terms to describe their inner states.  Very little to put in a wheelbarrow as
should be expected.  But the language is so vague and imprecise that is it
difficult to pin down what exactly is being claimed.  Objects appear more
"transparent", their "self" expands.  Terms that used to mean so much to me but
now seem so empty outside the language system of spirituality.  Believing that
your "self" is the "Self" of everything is poetic.  Does it really matter? I'm
not sure.

I do believe that trans-personal experiences can be helpful but I'm not sure if
taking this long to have them might develop a type of internal state,
self-fascination that strikes me as odd.  It might be best for people to drop a
hit of whatever, embrace the feeling of being everything for a while, and then
drop back into daily life refreshed but without years of self-absorption.  That
might give most of the claimed benefits.  And despite the strong opinions to
the contrary, most of my psychedelic insights have brought permanent shifts in
my perspective. It just depends what you want to pay attention to. They
certainly are on a par with anything I got out of meditation for permanently
shifting my inner states.

Nothing has convinced me that this is more than a POV on their inner
experiences. People who enjoy thinking this much about their inner state of
mind who become more and more expressive of every shift and change.  I have had
enough shifts of mind myself to believe that they aren't making this up, but
believe they may be making a big deal about states that the rest of us take for
granted.  There are some whose admitted mental history should give us some
insight into how radically their minds might shift at any given time.  If this
time it made them feel better, good for them, I hope it stays that way.

Most of all it is a bit hard to get through entire interviews because their
micro fascination with their own internal states lacks a language that does it
any justice.  Describing it head on may be the poorest way to express these
states.  It may be that for me it is art that does it best.  Perhaps if I saw
the dancer in the series dance I might be more impressed that she was different
in a way that mattered to anyone outside herself.  Maybe it is that people who
can convey inner states though the arts can actually move and inspire me in a
way that these descriptions can't.  What is it in art that moves us that shifts
our states and conveys such beauty. Why is that inspirational quality lacking
in these descriptions? Or perhaps it is just me.  I may have drifted too far
out of the insider perspective that fills these descriptions with glowy charm.
I sense that these people are experienced in describing their new states of
mind and have honed their narrative to in corporate the reactions they have had
to their phrasing.  We are not the first audience for these stories.

But if these people are expressing true significant shifts of consciousness
that would benefit humanity then Rick's project is going way beyond the
movement in opening them for examination.  I think either way Rick is really on
to something with this project.  By now we should expect people living in the
states Maharishi described vaguely and promised repeatedly.  Hearing from them
is a great resource for all of us interested in evaluating these claims.