From: TurquoiseB <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Shroud of Turin Report (or, When the Fans Hit the
Sheet)
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 6:20 PM

--- In FairfieldLife@ yahoogroups. com, Sal Sunshine <salsunshine@ ...> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2010, at 7:18 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > At this point the Big Test of the Shroud's Woo Woo
> > Quotient and the lasting value of its textile darshan
> > will be whether he can actually get home. The Cloud
> > (as opposed to the Shroud) emanating from Iceland
> > and covering Europe has now closed Italian airspace
> > as well, and none of the airlines are answering
> > their 800 numbers.
> >
> > If he gets home tomorrow as planned, consider that
> > a big "win" for those who believe in the value of
> > visiting holy relics.
>
> Barry, hasn't carbon dating pretty much confirmed
> this as a fake?

My bro is more than aware of the carbon-dating,
but quotes the TB's argument on it without claim-
ing to believe it one way or another. That is,
some time ago a small fragment of the Shroud was
snipped and taken away for carbon dating and
tested to have come from the 12th century. However,
the backing of the Shroud is admittedly from the
16th century or something like that, and the
Shroud itself has been patched numerous times
over the years. So if a Shroudie TB wanted to
"keep believing," all they would have to say is,
"They carbon dated part of a 12th-century patch,
not the material of the actual Shroud itself."

Ya can't argue with that. At least I can't.

> Then again, if he gets something out of it,
> fake or not, good for him.

My feelings exactly.