--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "wayback71" <waybac...@...> wrote:
<snip>
> I also think an important consideration is how the women
> he was with felt about it all.  If they were willing and
> eager and felt ok about, then that goes a long way to
> making it ok.

I'd guess most were willing and eager to start with, but
with these kinds of relationships it's usually the
development and especially the denouement that causes
pain, at the time and sometimes for many years afterward.

When you're young, you tend not to think too much about
how what you see as a big adventure is all going to turn
out.

For that matter, someone who's been sheltered from normal
social relationships with the opposite sex for as long as
MMY was isn't likely to think about it either.

It's a mug's game to try to figure out how MMY felt about
anything, but I'm really curious. From what I've read, it
seems the dilly-dallying took place during a specific
period--I have the impression it was a decade or less--and
then stopped. Your typical philanderer *doesn't* stop. So
why did MMY? Conscience? The pragmatic aspects?

> The difference in authority and power between MMY and the
> women, however,  is another issue

That's the biggie, IMHO. It really changes the consensuality
equation. It would with any powerful man who holds a lot of
authority over a younger woman, but *especially* with a
supposedly enlightened spiritual teacher and a disciple.

One thing I *haven't* encountered, that I can recall--
somebody correct me if I'm wrong--in any of the stories that
*is* a feature of many similar stories about other gurus is
the promotion by the guru of the idea that having sex with
him is going to further the woman's spiritual evolution. (Of
course, that's an assumption the women may have adopted on
their own.)

The sense I get of the overall picture is that MMY was just
pathetically *naive* about the whole business. He knew it
had to be kept quiet, but other than that, he really didn't
know what he was doing, especially emotionally, or have any
idea of the possible psychological repercussions, on the
women or himself.

> (why not a woman saint more his own age?).

That would have been tremendously difficult to arrange,
given the box he'd put himself in. And it would probably
have been even harder to keep quiet than fooling around
with selected disciples.

> I look forward to reading what Judith has to say about
> how she felt about it, how it affected her then and as
> the years passed.

Me too. But based on her Web site, I have to wonder about
conflicts of interest skewing the tale.