> The Congress granted BP and Big Oil the license
> to commit environmental and economic crimes when
> it enacted the limitations on liability in the
> Oil Pollution Act of 1990...

This is an obvious overstatement.

>From what I've read, the U.S. Congress passed the
Oil Pollution Act in 1990 with unanimous support of
Democrats and Republicans - so your congressional
leaders obviously did NOT intend to license oil
companies to commit "environment and economic
crimes".

"What was missing was the will to wield that
authority. Before we run off and pass more laws and
regulations, let's get the facts. Let's also work
on summoning the collective will to be more
effective at oversight and prevention..."

'The BP Oil Spill: Where Do We Go From Here?'
By Richard Crespin
Forbes, May 21, 2010
http://tinyurl.com/254dz7n

Oil Polution Act of 1990: