From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of TurquoiseB
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 12:25 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Conversation with Mr. Chivukula

Rick -- and he's still never told us how he came to hear
about Ravi and choose him for one of his interviews --
He's been an intermittent contributor to the Amma chat group (which, like
FFL and the TMO, is not affiliated with her organization), and he always
seemed reasonable and sane to me. When I started the BatGap chat group, I
mentioned it there and he joined. He wasn't an obsessive poster, but he
occasionally mentioned an awakening he had had, or was in the process of
having, and he seemed genuine and articulate, so I decided to interview him.
Keep in mind that from my perspective, there are many stages or degrees of
awakening, and I don't consider anyone I've interviewed to have undergone
them all, if that's even possible.

gave him a platform from which to announce his "awakening."
Rick's -- and others' -- first impulse was to *defend*
his supposed "normal enlightened status" rather than be
concerned, which they almost certainly would have been
given anyone else spouting such craziness.
I did? I seldom use the word "enlightened". Implies too "final" an
attainment.
The *secondary*
impulse we've been seeing here, in my opinion, is a bout
of "protect the guru," with any responsibility being
not only shifted away from Amma and her organization,
but taking it as an opportunity to write bhaktied-out
love poems for her.
Do you think Amma and her organization should be held responsible for
someone like Ravi. If so, explain to me the logistics of how that would work
- how the mental health of hundreds of thousands of people could be
monitored. As it was, Anatol and I both emailed the head of Amma's US
organization, and he said he'd tell Amma. What more should or could have
been done?
And now Ravi's interview has quietly
been "disappeared" from the list, so as not to somehow
cast questions upon the other interviews, and on the
whole concept of "ordinary enlightenment."
I removed it. I think each interview stands on it's own, but if I were one
of the people interviewed, I might feel uncomfortable about being associated
with someone who was acting as Ravi has been. In light of Ravi's behavior, I
didn't think it appropriate to post his interview, both for the BatGap's
reputation and for Ravi's well-being. I don't think it's healthy for him to
get any more attention or to have anything reinforce his notion that he is a
guru.
By my definition, a spiritual awakening does not preclude a subsequent
mental breakdown. In fact, it may precipitate one if one is unprepared for
it. Ravi had done little or no spiritual practice. If this was a Kundalini
awakening, and not just a bi-polar episode, he was unprepared for it. His
ego appropriated it and went hog-wild.