--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Buck" <dhamiltony...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> >
> > > Buck wrote:
> > > Actually, does anybody remember what Charlie Lutes said about
> > > suicide? His stories.
> >
> > I seem to remember Charlie talking about how suicide is looked
> > upon as a bad thing in Indian philosophy but if suffering from
> > cancer he could see why a person my want a way out.
> >
> > In Indian philosophy suicide leads to getting stuck in some
> > kind of "purgatory", not quite dead but not alive either.
> > And of course I've got a movie for this: "Wristcutters" which
> > is well worth a watch.  What really happens to someone who
> > commits suicide we really don't know but telling folks they
> > could get stuck in a "purgatory" might be useful prevention.
>
> Different story.  A friend here re-tells
> hearing Charlie Lutes getting a phone call from
> a despondent friend threatening suicide.
>
> Charlie
> tells him "Before you do that, let me tell you what is
> going to happen".   "With our bodies gone
> the soul has no buffer but for the raw suffering and pain
> it is experiencing".
> (picture of hell)
> "You could do that, its an option"  The advantage of a human
> body is that it buffers pain & suffering.  Without a body & nervous
> system the soul is exposed to the totality of the pain and
> suffering."
> etc.
> The caller reconsidered.

While "stories" of what happens after death of *any*
kind are interesting if you're in a state of mind
from which you can appreciate them, I tend to think
that all of them are "just stories." They appeal to
you *if* you are in a state of attention to consider
them, but *only* if you are in such a state.

Again, I recommend the short RSAnimate video I posted
the link to Sunday (but didn't appear until Monday):

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/05/29/the-secret-powers-of-time/

"Stories" of the *future* appeal only to someone who
is "future-oriented," in this rap's model. Someone
considering suicide is very, very much in the negative
side of "present-oriented," often with touches of
the negative side of "past-oriented" thrown into the
mix. They are often not open to considerations of
the future and what will happen in it; they are over-
whelmed by and overshadowed by what is going on for
them in their present.

I think one of the "dogma problems" revealed by this
sad suicide is the inordinate glorification of being
"present-oriented," especially when one has become
convinced that his or her present is being perceived
from the platform of enlightenment or realization.

Whether it's physiological (there is some evidence
that the subjective feeling 'I know The Truth' is
just the result of one particular area of the brain
getting flipped 'ON' and has nothing to do with any-
thing 'spiritual') or has some philosophical aspect
to it, I perceive a real danger in the *myth* about
enlightenment that says it's a state in which one's
very thoughts and perceptions and decisions and
actions are reflections of The Truth.

Believing that is true to some extent "relieves"
the person caught in such a state from the need to
discriminate or make the kinds of everyday decisions
about the rightness or the wrongness of his/her
thoughts and actions. It's a *lazy* state of mind,
in which one has come to believe that one no longer
*needs* to discriminate. Just act, and the action
will be "right" by definition.

Many of us have seen this on FFL in the past as Rory
or Jim exemplified this belief system for us. It was
*impossible* to get either of them to consider, even
for a moment, that anything they ever did or said was
inappropriate or wrong. The thinking seemed to have
been, "If I said it or did it, it *by definition* was
right. I'm realized...it *has* to have been right."

I never knew Daniel, but from what I've read of his
manic raps, he seemed to believe this, too. How are you
going to "talk down" someone who thinks like this if
they get so stuck in the drama of "present-orientation"
that they set their sights on a course of action that
not only doesn't seem rational to the people trying to
"talk the person down," but seems crazy? Almost *by
definition* in the mind of the person who has come to
believe that *their* thoughts reflect "reality" and no
one else's do, are they likely to listen?

I think the "larger issue" at hand here are the *myths*
surrounding enlightenment, and whether they are accurate
or not. And one *of* the predominant myths promoted by
the TM movement is that once yer muffin pops and you
are enlightened (measured only by yourself, because no
one in the TM movement is allowed to 'certify' or verify
your supposed enlightenment), then everything you think
and say and do is right, in perfect accord with the Laws
Of Nature and the will of God.

If a person who thinks this way decides to do *anything*,
how are you going to talk them out of it? The myth they
believe in trumps everything else.

The thing is, as far as I can tell, the myth is a lie.