Raising chickens has never really been about the cost effectiveness. I have
seven chickens. Raising chickens is for self sufficiency. If the economy
crashes more then we will need to be responsible for our own food. Although you
buy feed for chickens, I think this is greatly over emphasized, afterall, there
are wild chickens who are not given feed daily.Feed stores would have you
believe that you cannot raise chickens without it. I just feed my chickens the
skins from a butternut squash, which they devoured. Eggs may become the new
currency.