You meet a person on the road and ask him which way to New York.  He
points to the correct direction.  You ask him if he's been there and he
says no.  But he still gave you the correct direction.

Likewise I would assert that as long as the teacher knows the techniques
they do not need to be enlightened (of course this is how TM works).
You just need the techniques.  However most teachers with the techniques
probably have achieved enlightenment even if there aren't dozens of
people dancing around them worshiping them as saints.  The latter is a
westerners expectation.  Expertise in fields like tantra don't depend on
enlightenment as they do knowledge of that field.  It is possible for
someone to be enlightened but not know those techniques at all.