On Aug 7, 2010, at 11:27 AM, tartbrain wrote:

> what about that automatic transcending chinese meditation that was studied?
> and the other vedic auto transcending ones?

I remember reading this study when it first was being passed around. It clearly
seemed to be a case of 'let's find an example of transcendence that makes it
look like 'theirs is SO slow, ours is much betterer'. And then publish it to
see if people fall for it.

This and a couple of other papers are actually knee-jerk reactions to a bunch
of papers on Buddhist meditation, that got published in peer-review journals
and showed the neurological maps for transcendence and Open Monitoring styles
of meditation. It made TM look lackluster and unimpressive in comparison, so
sometime after these papers appeared, a couple of "no, we're still the bestest
meditation technique out there" papers came out from TM market researchers. As
such reactionary papers often are flawed by their underlying, rather emotional
reactions, this paper was no exception. But it was a real strong example of
bending science to your own true believerisms while trying hard to diss the
other meditation research that is emerging.