Not a response or challenge to anyones words, just some observations on the
words themselves.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

> [...]

Words create a bit of a jail for the mind. How can unboundedness (again a word
jail) be higher or lower. But after years of using the word higher  with
relationship to consciousness, we may actually see it as physically spatially
higher. Distortions always eventually get whipped around by the actual. Using
an internal concept of higher tends to create distance not intimacy. Maybe just
call it pedestal consciousness so we we can always adore it from afar -- as
something 'up there".

Even if we say "refined" instead of higher -- how can Consciousness be refined?
Consciousness is what it is. Perhaps its the use of the term Consciousness --
which having multiple meanings -- muddies the waters. I find using the sanskrit
term can help clarify the muddle.
How can Atman be refined is a more precise casting of the same question. It
can't. Our consciousness is a reflection of that. Sometimes clearer, sometimes
more smudged.

> AGAIN...it is not possible to judge a
> person's level of consciousness by his or her actions.

The cultural, emotional and intellectual interpretation of actions will always
vary greatly from setting to setting. Interpretation of actions are always
contextual. How could consciousness be tied to a certain set of "appropriate
actions" - appropriate for all ages, cultures, people and circumstances.

And one has to ask -- where do actions come from if identity is not found in
those actions -- no doer. Do they come from a consciousness that is vastly
separate from actions? Or do they come from something separate from
consciousness. If separate, then where is the connection to consciousness. Does
Atman create actions? Does Atman categorize actions into "appropriate for
Atman" and "not appropriate for Atman?"

Or perhaps one sees all actions as a play of consciousness. Then from this
appreciation of things, all actions, world wide, are the play of consciousness
- not just some of them.  Does Atman say "These good and cool things are a play
or Atman -- the bad and totally uncool actions are not a play of Atman".

It appears that its all or nothing -- not much room for "some" "good" actions
are related to Atman nd other "bad" actions are not.

> Everyone is entitled to speculate about Maharishi's inner life based on
> his outer life, but by what criteria?

Think of ourselves and our own lives. Has anyone ever misinterpreted your
actions, not really gotten where you were coming from? The only thing we can
see from another's actions, is usually, what our own mind state would be if
those actions came out of us. We might assume that if we did x y or z, then our
inner space must be this or that-- something we have experienced within. If you
have not experienced  all possible inner realms, all reflections of
consciousness, all reflections of Atman, how could one begin to know what
actions are possible from that space.

Maybe we can employ the shtupping
> scale. One shtup BC, two shtups GC, three shtups CC, etc.
>
> It's deplorable behavior to take advantage of a young woman when you're
> in a position of authority but it still doesn't say anything about
> Maharishi's level of consciousness. By the way Curtis is going to kick
> your ass for saying Maharishi isn't in low-life consciousness.  B.F.
> Skinner, really?  I'd say he's  more like Funky Winkerbean...with
> emphasis on funky.
>
> Perhaps you've been trying for years to reconcile Maharishi's behavior
> with what you believe to be his higher state of consciousness. I
> appreciate this is an important issue for you, but IMO you've set before
> you an impossible task. I hope you find peace with it.

Maybe there is a Nobel Prize in it -- the definitive action sets clearly
correlated (or caused by -- even better) with distinct reflections of
consciousness. Ha!

> From my own perspective I know it's possible to teach TM and not be the
> least bit enlightened. But what do my students know about my level of
> consciousness? Nothing. I haven't taught TM in years, but through the
> Grace of Guru Dev, Maharishi made the the steps of initiation so
> effortless, I could do it again in a heart-beat.
>
> Initiation is a methodical process, but there's an undeniable magic that
> fills the person's Being when he or she transcends for the first time.
> It's a glorious mystery I am blessed to share with others. I don't doubt
> or question how is it that I, an unenlightened person, can actually
> teach someone TM because I know that it isn't really *me* creating the
> process of transcending. I leave that to the play of the eternal,
> immutable nature of Being bubbling up for expression. I'm just the
> stagehand. Maybe that's all that Maharishi ever was as well.
>

>   [http://joshreads.com/images/10/08/i100808fw.jpg]

Which again raises the question of who is the actor, from where do action arise
-- in various reflections of consciousness.