--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...> wrote:

By the way Curtis is going to kick
> your ass for saying Maharishi isn't in low-life consciousness.  B.F.
> Skinner, really?  I'd say he's  more like Funky Winkerbean...with
> emphasis on funky.

B.F. Skinner, too clinical for a performing artist, Funky Winkerbean,  bit too
depressing from the few strips I have read...

so I was hoping to be the hetero James Randi!

As to Maharishi's state of consciousness, I wouldn't pick "low-life" as a
description.  The guy was exceptional in many ways.  Just not all the ways the
that he promoted himself to be. Lets start with the Horacio Alger's story of an
Indian business man creating a world empire.  Not too shabby on its own even
with the deduction for the slave labor he used to renovate and flip his real
estate ventures.

And his insight on teaching people how to teach meditation was a Henry Ford
brilliance of mass marketing meditation.  And in my experience it really worked
well.

So even without a model of his being in a unique state of mind ala higher
states the guy was not a lower anything IMO.  But even with all the hype about
his love of knowledge, he was more a repetitive marketer mind than a real
scholar even by his own admission.

Looking at his higher state of consciousness model, which really should have
been his big detailed contribution to human thought: can you really say he gave
the kind of details that an expert would be able to give?  I saw hours and
hours of tapes of him discussing
"higher states" and it never really reached beyond the level of translating the
brochure descriptions from the Sanskrit.  Given how rich these state should be
in terms of detailed knowledge concerning how the world works, am I the only
one to be underwhelmed by his descriptions?  They seem useful in their lack of
detail so people who are having some type of unusual internal experience can
say, "yeah that's me, between Unity and Braham" as you hear on BATGAP. Vague
oneness and seeing my SELF everywhere and kumbaya my lord kumbaya.

But Maharishi was no lower anything.  He was kicking ass and taking numbers.
(the only question we may disagree on is whose asses were getting kicked and
whose numbers where being taken.)