--- On Mon, 8/9/10, Rick Archer <r...@searchsummit.com> wrote:

From: Rick Archer <r...@searchsummit.com>
Subject: RE: [FairfieldLife] Suzanne Segal
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, August 9, 2010, 1:04 PM

From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of emptybill
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 11:44 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Suzanne Segal

Yes very much like Suzanne Seagal. It's there in Maharshi's discourse, but it
is more overt in Buddhist literature.

I found her story very interesting but also quite funny. Apparently some people
didn't listen when he was describing the transition from TC into CC in terms of
subjective experience. "Oh, I will be expanded into unbounded consciousness"
must have been her thought, and shows she definitely did not listen and had no
clue. The futility of looking for an I to keep for a reference was highlighted
by MMY a number of times. She also had a very intense attachment to her Jewish
identity, something I found hilarious. The continual need to search out such an
"identify" to make sure it was still findable caused her lots of suffering, all
of it self induced. From Reb Yonnasan Gershom's book, Beyond the Ashes, I
learned just how crystallized a Jewish identity could be … circulating across
many life times just to keep itself intact.
Bullshit karma but at last she gave it up, realized the illusion and worked to
help other people.

Until she died of a brain tumor. I think part of her problem was that she had
been away from any spiritual teaching for several years before her awakening,
so maybe her understanding had gotten rusty. Also, as many say, the actual
experience turns out to be quite different from what we had conceptualized it
to be.

To go from a bound, localized identity to absolutely no localization and hence
no individual identity in a finger snap blows the mind to pieces. The waking
state thought that "I" will have this experience of unboundedness or "I" will
be unbounded is completely false, although this is the best a waking state mind
can do because that 'I-thought", as Ramana Maharishi called it, is the
foundation of waking state. Consciousness is completely unlocalized and
unbounded to any space and time limitation. Therefore the mind, a localized
expression of consciousness, is incapable of "knowing" pure consciousness. In
waking state, the mind knows pure consciousness as a concept only.