> On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:01 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> States of consciousness have physiological signatures, regardless
> >> of mental "content."
> >
> > Might I remind you that this is a hypotheis that has been
> > taught to you, one that you hope is true but do not know
> > is true?
>
> Pavlov's meditator?

More like Heisenberg's Hunch.  :-)

When one sets out to measure a phenomenon, one's
expectations and assumptions, if present, cannot help
but affect what is "found."  Many scientists go into their
experiments on the nature of states of consciousness
"wearing" an assumption that states of consciousness
are physiologically different, and that difference is
measurable.  They *expect* to find differences.  And
so they do.  Their expectations create the differences.

But the differences do not necessarily have anything
to do with the different states of consciousness.  IMO
they have more to do with the nature of expectation
that the scientists bring to the experiment.

I think that experiments such as the ones you posted
recently, about the real-world, practical-over-time
benefits of meditation, are valuable and probably
valuable, in that they would interest more people in
the possible benefits of meditation.  But experiments
to prove the existence of something that has never
even been *described* accurately in the entire history
of human experience, and by definition *cannot* be?
Give me a break.

Scientists attempting to pinpoint the physiological
nature of enlightenment *will* find things that they
believe are indicators of enlightenment.  They will
find these things because they expect to find them.
But the things they find may not necessarily have
anything to do with enlightenment.

One need look no further back than the original
Wallace experiments and their emphasis on the
presence of certain types of brainwaves to see this
tendency to "find" what one already expects to find.
Wallace found a bunch of brainwaves that, because
of the nature of his belief in TM and what Maharishi
had told him, he *expected* to find something.  And
he did.  He associated these brainwave patterns
with transcendence.

Well, as time has passed it's turned out that these
patterns occur in many circumstances, as a
result of many different things, and thus probably
has no real relationship to transcendence, right?
But it seemed like a logical scientific "find" at the
time.

My suspicion is that this is *exactly* what is going
to happen with future experiments that set out to
find a physiological counterpart to enlightenment.
The scientists are definitely going to find things.
They *expect* to find things, so they will.  And it'll
seem to make sense at the time, and everyone in
the TM movement (or whatever movement is spon-
soring the experiments) will be excited because at
last they'll have "proof" that enlightenment exists
and what physiological indicators "make it"
enlightenment.

And this excitement will last for a year or two, and
then someone will notice that the "indicators" also
show up as a result of, say, eating too much chili.
And the whole process will start all over again.  :-)

That's my feeling for what will happen as a result
of the desire to scientifically validate enlightenment.
I could be wrong.  I often am.  But I don't think I am
in this case.  I don't see the universe having created
something (enlightenment) that has defied descrip-
tion for this long (millennia) just up and relinquishing
its mysteries just because people are afraid to accept
their own subjective experience as sufficient "proof"
of enlightenment.