> > Skip your own individual enlightenment, and
> > wait till day X when we get all enlightened...

authfriend:
> For the record, I never encountered anything
> like this...

Nor have I, but from the begginning I was told
about the benefits of group practice being
beneficial to the individual and the world at
large.

The idea that group spiritual practice could have
an influence on our physical world dates back to
before 4,000 years ago in India. Before that
there were the shamans in Siberia. So, gathering
together in groups is not a new cultural practice.

According to the the Indian Press near the end of
World War II, over 2000 Hindu sadhus and tens of
thousands of their followers gathered outside New
Delhi to pray for world peace, for ten days under
the inspiration of the Jagadguru Sri Brahmananda
Saraswati, the Shankaracharya of Jyotirmath.

The yajna consisted of spoken and silent phrases
from the Rig Veda, the Gayatri. It is estimated
that 10,000,000 phrases were recited and according
to the Forman and Gammon in their classic book
entitled "Truth is One":

"...it was probably the greatest demonstration of
mass praying in modern times and as many Hindus
believe, helped defeat the Axis powers."

Aerial view of Guru Dev's Mahayajna:
http://www.rwilliams.us/images/yajna.jpg

Source:

'Truth is One'
The Story of the World's Great Living Religions
in Picturs and Text
By Henry James Forman and Roland Gammon
Harper & Row, 1954