--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
> > Up until the time I left, there was never a *hint*
> > of the "Maharishi Effect" or "You're doing it for
> > world peace." That was all invented later, as you
> > say.
>
> Interesting. I knew quite a few people then, who left right after the
> Siddhis/Enlightenment course,some right away to India to either Muktananda or
> Osho. At the time I was still thoroughly immersed in the TM movement. I would
> have bailed out some 4 years later, but ironically, it was meeting a saint,
> who made me stay in the movement some years more, and actually have both
> worlds, until it became clear which way to go.
>

> > My theory as to *why* it was invented is a little
> > different than yours. Yes, "group practice" is a
> > control mechanism, and an enforced test of fealty
> > ("You're either with us or against us, and check-
> > ing attendance allows us to see which"), but the
> > whole ME "You're doing it for the world" thang
> > was not trotted out until people had started to
> > realize that the siddhis had very little "payoff"
> > for them, personally. There was no there there.
> > People were starting to quit and drift away from
> > the TMO, because they'd paid big bucks for its
> > most expensive "program," and it did diddleysquat
> > for them.
>
> Certainly the promises were to high by far. We all thought we would fly
> within a few month, get lots of initiations. When I first heard of siddhis
> there were reports of people waking through walls, getting invisible, (I
> still got that sutra, it was skipped later on)
>

> > Can't have that. Rephrase things to take the
> > emphasis away from discernible personal benefit,
> > and cast it in terms of "You're doing it for the
> > world." Try to appeal to the higher motives of
> > people to get them to stick around, because the
> > techniques themselves weren't sufficient to keep
> > them around.
>
> This 'appealing to higher motives' was a very conscious thing from Maharishis
> side. I actually heard him say, we should always make very general (not
> specific) appeals, like mentioning 'ideal society' and the like. There is an
> added thing. People started to move to communities to be able to 'fly'
> together. Sidhaland came up.So people become dependend (psychologically) on
> group practice, on the existence of such groups, move their whole lives,
> families, jobs to other places, Fairfield for example, and such become more
> and more dependend on the group.
>
> If you had an individual scheme of enlightenment, you were told that we are
> doing it for the world, we are like soldiers for world peace, that we are
> karmically connected to the world. Sort of like the Bodhisattva ideal, but TM
> movement version. Skip your own individual enlightenment, and wait till day X
> when we get all enlightened. May be you weren't around anymore, when
> Maharishi would answer to questions, why we don't fly yet, that it was
> because of world consciousness. Again the shift from individual to

Just as a small follow up: the siddhis were already a goal displacement to the
original goal of enlightenment. The group effect, was a goal displacement for
the siddhis. The siddhis (as goals in themselves) were just an intermediate
station of a larger goal displacement from individual to collective
enlightenment. (Some might argue that enlightenment was a goal displacement to
just living happy and without struggle)