--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <drpetersutphen@...> wrote:

> [...]

I see it differently.  My understanding from all the years within the TMO was
that TM was supposed to be the best way, but certainly not the only way to
immortality, enlightenment etc.   MMY said TM was the fastest way, but other
ways could get you there eventually.  Also, the TM ideas derived from a long
tradition of HIndu and Vedic ideas.  While the TMO liked to take credit for
much of this, they also nevertheless were proud to talk about the ancient ideas
on which TM products and services (astrology, Ayurveda) were based.

I read the New Yorker article today- there are some similarities to TM'er
experiences in Haggi's fine descriptions of what it is like to step away from
and then look back at the group you once were enmeshed in. The other parallel
with TM was the idea of removing stresses with a technique - in Scientology
this is what they call auditing I think. But Scientology sounds like a harsher,
crazier world than anything within TM. The shunning that they tell people to do
towards people who drop out is way beyond the TMO actions.  The article gives
examples of people who are no longer allowed to have any contact with parents
or children or grandchildren if they leave the fold!!

L Ron seemed to have come up with some sort of model of how to get your
emotional life together or improved.  It might have some effect, or else just
be generated by the individual desire to have found The Way, The Truth, at
last.  Despite their talk of spirituality in Scientology, I got a feeling from
the article that it was really more centered on learning communication skills
and getting rid of bad behavior patterns.   TM is ultimately focused on
Enlightenment - and one thing many have wished for is more focus on behavior.
Glad I never got sucked into the Scientology nightmare.