Hal Lindsey probably had a strong influence on Reagan, with his best-selling
books relating to eschatological themes (so-called end-times approaching
Armageddon).  (I knew him. We worked in the same office building in Santa
Monica).  The Wiki summary seems consistent with Reagan's mentality; but it's
safe to say that a core of such TB still populate the Pentagon and other
establishments, (the Air Force Academy).  Wiki....
"
In The Late, Great Planet Earth, Lindsey wrote that he had concluded, since
there was no apparent mention of the United States of America in the books of
Daniel or Revelation, that the USA would no longer be a major player on the
geo-political stage by the time the tribulations of the end times arrived.
Lindsey also interpreted from Revelation and prophetic texts that the European
Economic Community, which preceded the European Union, was destined (according
to Biblical prophecy) to become a "United States of Europe", with ten members,
which in turn he says is destined to become a "Revived Roman Empire" ruled by
the Antichrist. The European Union currently has 27 members.

A later book, bearing the title The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon, implied
that the battle of Armageddon would take place in the not too distant future,
stating "the decade of the 1980s could very well be the last decade of history
as we know it"[7] and that the U.S. could be "destroyed by a surprise Soviet
nuclear attack."[8] The book strongly suggests that the 1980s would see the
biblical events of tribulation and end times come to pass.

Planet Earth - 2000 A.D., published in the early 1990s, states that Christians
should not plan to still be on earth by the year 2000.

Lindsey's earlier predictions all assumed that the Cold War would continue
indefinitely, and had eschatological significance; he explicitly identified
Russia with the apocalyptic figure of Gog. He also assumed that the 1960s
counterculture would eventually become the dominant culture, and become the
source of prophesied "immorality" that would lead to the establishment of a
false religion.