--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, blusc0ut <no_reply@...> wrote:

> > There may be good reasons why "dividing the mind" is
> > OK with these practices.
>
> GMAB, it's NOT 'dividing the mind'. For example routine procedures do not
> require attention, or very little attention. If that wasn't so, even
> breathing during regular TM, or the heartbeat would be splitting one's mind.
> This argument may hold true in some cases - in many it doesn't. Therefore any
> rule that doing japa during activities *per se* is bogus.

TM is not a routine activity or procedure.

> > As far as I'm aware, the TMO
> > recommendation not to entertain the mantra in activity
> > is given with regard to plain-vanilla TM.
>
> That hasn't been disputed. I am disputing the reasoning given for this.
>
> > Remember, I was responding to your original comment that
> > you didn't know why the TMO made that recommendation.
>
> That was in part a rethoric question, which I already answered in an earlier
> post myself: I assume its the same reason as the time restriction that came
> in the late 60s and 70s, when people who had taken a lot of drugs, and
> freaked out, that's my opinion, anyway. My argument is basically, if you can
> think any random thought, not pertaining directly to a job at hand, you can
> also do japa.

Never whistle while pissing is an old zen saying...
[...]
> Many people do japa with much success. Don't get ridiculous. Its the
> experience of many people, just like in TM, nothing more and nothing less.

There are at least 3 distinct physiological states in the brain that lead to
descriptions sounding very much the same.

One is known to result from long-term TM practice, and entails
cross-hemispheric coherence in the alpha wavelengths, especially in the frontal
cortex.

One results from intellectual-based techniques used by some Buddhists and
entails dominant processing in the intellectual hemisphere of the brain, with
normal processing from the emotional hemisphere.

One results from early childhood emotional trama, such as father-daughter
incest, and entails a normally functioning intellectual hemisphere, and a
poorly functioning emotional hemisphere.

Each of these results in self-reports of "witnessing in activity." Does this
mean that those that report this "witnessing in activity" are all the same
(presumably beneficial) spiritual state?

Just sayin'...

Lawson